Changing profile picture results in account becoming anonymous

(Arnold Schrijver) #1

I am admin of community.humanetech.com and just changed my profile picture from default to an uploaded jpeg image. It seemed to work fine, but when I went to the main page there were no changes and all topics were shown as unread. What happened was that my account had changed and was now named ‘anonymous10’. I had no access to my real account anymore (which was unchanged).

So I logged out, logged in again, and there was no change to the profile picture. So I did the same action again. My previously uploaded photo was still present, and after just changing the option to this setting and pressing ‘Save’ everything worked fine (no cache refresh needed as well).

But I thought I’ll mention it anyway.

I am using FF 60.0 on Ubuntu 16.04

(Jeff Atwood) #2

We can’t reproduce this. Can you reproduce it on try.discourse.org? It sounds like you entered anonymous posting mode to me, which is a different function.

(Arnold Schrijver) #3

I just tried it on try.discourse.org but the problem didn’t occur.

BTW We have had some similar reports by members on community.humanetech.com some time ago. We didn’t report here, because the re-login fixed the problem then as well.

(Arnold Schrijver) #4

I got notified just now that the problem I had with changing the profile picture had created an anonymous account, which is in the system as a left-over. In total we have 12 such accounts in our forum:

(Sam Saffron) #5

Are you 100% sure you never clicked on:

It is super easy to click that button by mistake and easy to confuse. Do you need anon mode enabled?

(Arnold Schrijver) #6

100% sure… never used that button (looks interesting as a feature, I will try it soon :slight_smile:)

Some time ago we had some users complaining they were suddenly marked as anonymous user in the forum. I believe this was also after fiddling with their profile settings (not 100% sure on this one, though). I found this early post on the issue: Bug in humane tech - About this forum - Humane Tech Community

So this feature creates accounts like that? That means I cannot manually delete these accounts, as I intended to do…

(Sam Saffron) #7

Yes the feature creates accounts like this, I am very confused at how you triggered it given we have it enabled on meta and I am unable to repro it.

Do you have a set of repeatable steps you can follow to make it happen on your forums?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

I strongly recommend disabling “post as anon” if you have it enabled in your site settings – unless you have clear and compelling reason to enable it (the original intent of the feature is medical communities).

This feature is off by default to keep things simple :wink:

(Arnold Schrijver) #9

Well, it probably doesn’t happen often, or there would be more occurrences. I do not have a set of steps - this happened a month ago - but will watch out for further appearances of this behaviour.

For now, I will just delete my own anonymous account (note that it is not really anonymous anyway, since it has my profile picture)

(anonymous15) #10

Here is me posting as anonymous by clicking the button.

(Arnold Schrijver) #11

Thanks! I will disable it. We do not really need it.

PS. I checked my own anonymous account… it was created on May 16, when I reported this issue.

(Arnold Schrijver) #12

I changed that setting. Thanks a lot for your excellent support!!