Thanks Thomas.
I’m now seriously considering coming to 40C3 from the UK this year. The December dates work much better for me than something during the university year, and I’d definitely be interested in a Discourse operators/community meetup if one can be organised.
As I mentioned in the earlier thread, I previously ran Physics with Ethan, a small self-hosted Discourse instance in the UK. That server has since been repurposed as a Speedify server, but I remain particularly interested in self-hosting, integrations/plugins, smaller community-run sites, education, and the longer-term operation of Discourse communities.
I also think having an Event entry or some other simple way of recording likely attendees would be useful. Even a rough indication of numbers would make it easier to see whether there is enough interest to request a room.
Another possible way of reaching self-hosted operators, if the Discourse team considered it appropriate, might be a temporary text-only notice in the discourse_docker launcher during rebuilds, linking to this topic. Something very unobtrusive such as:
Discourse community: European operators/supporters are discussing a possible meetup at 40C3 in Hamburg, 27–30 December 2026. See: https://meta.discourse.org/t/chaos-computer-club-congress-in-hamburg-40c3-december-2026-call-for-participation/412300
That would reach people actively maintaining self-hosted instances who may not regularly follow Meta, and it could simply be removed or expire after the event. I’m not sure whether using the launcher for a community notice like this would be considered appropriate, but it might be worth considering as a very low-cost way of making the idea more visible.
For reference, the earlier discussion and poll are here: