Character limit counter for max post length?

(ned) #1

There is a character minimum counter. It would be also good to have a character limit counter to see how many character are left till the max is reached if a limit is set.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

This would not be a bad idea, however, I don’t think it should appear at all until you get close to the limit. Right now max_post_length defaults to 16,000 characters. So maybe when you get within 90% of that, it could appear and count down.

Very, very few posts get that long though.

(ned) #3

Yea I saw that limit and changed it to 850 on my site . Either or showing
before or near the end of the limit works. However if someone has the
intention of writing a few paragraphs and come to realize towards the end
they have a cap limit could be a bit of a unpleasant surprise dont you
think?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Oh, if the limit is overridden to 850 it’s much more relevant!

But I still don’t think you’d want to see a warning and countdown until you were at least 50% of the way through that. If the setting is “warn me when there are (x) characters or less left” then you’d be covered.

(ned) #5

Agreed, thats a reasonable mark to see a warning.

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #6

Are there any updates for this feature @codinghorror and @techAPJ because I am looking exactly for this. I have set a minimum post length to 300 characters and I want users to keep a track of how many characters they have typed before they could hit the Reply button.

It will be similar to how twitter keeps you notified about the number of characters typed.

It is such an awesome feature!

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Nope, this is the completed feature.

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #8

But I don’t see any character count on my post editor? I have updated to latest version v1.3.0.beta4 +15

Neither do I see it in the post editor of Meta Discourse?

(Jeff Atwood) #9

We have no plans for this character counter. Sorry. Unless you want to write it and submit a PR.

(Michael Downey) #10

Didn’t this exist in the past (e.g. 2013 as described above) though? (Like when typing in the editor.) Haven’t seen it in a long time. I don’t think I’m dreaming that…

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #11

Don’t you think it is a feature which can help users?

(Jens Maier) #12

Nope, you’re not dreaming:

(Jeff Atwood) #13

No, I do not. Sorry.