Check for updates not working in development environment

(Dave McClure) #1

I was hoping to play around a bit with how available version updates are shown in the dashboard, but on my development machine (Mac OS X 10.9.5), I’m just getting this:

A check for updates has not been performed. Ensure sidekiq is running.

I have verified that Sidekiq is running. In the dashboard it appears to run successfully anytime I trigger it, but the above message never changes:

In the rails console, DiscourseUpdates.check_version shows this:

=> #<DiscourseVersionCheck:0x007fcc994d6c60
 @installed_sha="1f8e1f8f1744b7ca7ecd852ba557da3244fab1b6",
 @installed_version="1.1.0.beta5",
 @updated_at=nil,
 @version_check_pending=true>

If I try DiscourseHub.version_check, I just get this, though:

SocketError: getaddrinfo: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
from /Users/dave/.rbenv/versions/2.1.2/lib/ruby/2.1.0/net/http.rb:879:in `initialize'

Anyone else seen this? Any thoughts on how to get the version check to work in a dev environment?

(cpradio) #2

Yep, I get that all the time (even when I have sidekiq running). No idea how to fix it, as since it is my dev work up, I usually do a git pull origin master before running it anyway…

(Kane York) #3

You ran bundle exec sidekiq in a second terminal? Note that you usually don’t have to unless you’re testing something that needs it, like image lightboxing

(Dave McClure) #4

Yep, I ran sidekiq in a second terminal and triggered the the check for updates job a few times.

Hello, I know this is a very old conversation, but I’m having this very same issue in my development environment. I noticed you mentioned something also here. Is it supposed to be like this in a dev env? Have you been able to solve it?