Chrome Find in Page input disappears

(Dennis Williamson) #1

I’m using Chrome 24.0.1312.57 in Ubuntu 12.10 with Gnome 3 and sometimes when I use Ctrl-F to Find in Page in a Discourse thread, the Find input box disappears. It seems to happen when the search has to move far enough in the page that the thumb in the scroll bar moves.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yep, as I understand it, this is specific to Chrome’s implementation. You might try on IE and FF to compare.

(Dennis Williamson) #3

I’m not sure I understand whether this is something you’re working on fixing in Discourse. I haven’t seen it on any other site.

It must be a Webkit thing, because the same problem occurs with Web (formerly Epiphany).

(Steven) #4

I can confim that this happens with chrome “25.0.1364.68 beta-m” as well.

It appears that the discourse title bar (the one that scrolls down the page) covers up the search box. You are still able to press F3 to continue searching but the box is hidden.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #5

I’ve noticed this bug in Chrome 26, too. It seems to happen whenever the URL is automatically updated to reflect the “current” post.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

My point is that it might not be fixable, and should perhaps be addressed as a WebKit bug.

(Sam Saffron) #7

This happens cause we use replaceState heavily, calling it will clear the current highlighted search.

I think we will probably follow google docs here and kidnap ctrl+f popping up the discourse search widget, as soon as our search is smart enough to search the current topic as a priority and possibly highlight results.

(Michael John Kirk) #8

This was still happening for me as of a few weeks ago, but I just noticed it’s now working.

running Chrome: Version 30.0.1599.14 beta

(Jeff Atwood) #9

There was a partial PR a while ago from the community to make it a little more stable.

(Sam Saffron) #10

Closing this, no longer relevant as we hijack CTRLf and have a custom “topic search” with feature parity.

(Sam Saffron) #11