Clarification on site_domain_name and site_name

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #1

I’m looking at the subject lines in server.en.yml and trying figure out which is which in the Admin panel

Is title > site_name ?
Where is site_domain_name set?

What is email prefix ?
What is email site title?

TIA

Should error and message emails start with the same prefix?
Should any email subjects from discourse not be tagged?
Overriding strings in server.xx.yml?
(Anton) #2

When you get the info, could you please enter the corresponding comments for these keys in Transifex?

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #3

Apparently, the email site title defined in the Admin Email setup is used as the From name in email as well.

The problem I’m having with this relates to a missing article “the” in emails.

I tried putting “the” in the site title, and while that fixes the sentences in emails, it looks very odd to have emails coming from the Watchman Monitoring Community

@meglio - send the URL you’re wanting to see them posted to?

(Anton) #4

https://www.transifex.com/organization/discourse/dashboard

An example where in my understanding such useful comments can be put:

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img742/5773/gAFWKC.png

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #5

This subject is still confusing and still unanswered… can I get a confirmation that the two things I’ve put a red box around are indeed the same thing?

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #6

ok, asking a different way.

On this line:

I want the line in the resulting email to read:

Welcome to the Watchman Monitoring Community; thanks for starting a new conversation!

Which place in admin do I put the Watchman Monitoring Community ?

(Jeff Atwood) #7

As I recall, there is site name and site description. Since the title field has a description of name of this site I suppose that is it.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #8

I just tested this on my hosted discourse, and the {%site_name} in the plain english emails is replaced with the email prefix, which I would expect to only be used in subject lines.

Site title being used in subject, despite email prefix being used
(Jeff Atwood) #9

Apparently you are mixing references to email titles and email body in the above posts?

I agree we should be more consistent in our substitution naming at least in email, whether we are referring to email title vs. Email body.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #10

Agreed, it’s all mixed in, but this topic isn’t just about the subject lines… it’s about figuring out what goes where.

I’m just trying to get usable titles, so we can have a [Short Handle] in the subjects, and a grammatically correct sentence in the welcome emails (lower case “the”, then the full proper site name)

Historically I’ve been hand editing the system.en.yml file, but that’s not idea.

Changing or removing the last poster avatar highlight
(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #11

From looking at the server.en.yml, it seems that site_title is being used for both the short title needed for email subjects, and for the longer more formal title used in sentences about the forum.

Here is a good example:

I would expect that the more complete Title get used at the end of line 1773 and the [Label]/email prefix to be used in the subject on line 1771.

I’d submit a PR to clean this all up, if I could tell exactly how to reference those two Admin settings.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

@techapj can you add the above to your list.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #16

Meanwhile… which field in admin does site_name come from?

(Kane York) #17

It’s SiteSetting.title.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #18

for GUI style clarity, yes,

When using the {site_name} in emails, the title is used, unless the email prefix is set.

However:

@meglio I’m not sure how / don’t have permission to update this in transifex’s notes

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #19

In my testing, site_domain_name was ignored. So, I’m still not sure where that pulls from.