Click on pin icon to un-pin

Call me insane, but I clicked 20 times on the pin icon in both the topic list (after reading the item) and also next to the title when opened to try and un-pin the item.

I know this is a low-priority type of thing, but it would be good to be able to click on a pin to un-pin it.

Here is a reasonable case:

• I notice there is an outage this Thursday
  • I want to keep this Thursday in mind so I don’t want to un-pin today (Monday)
  • Come Thursday evening when things are back to normal I can simply click on the pin in the topic list to un-pin the item, removing it from the top of the page

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I don’t agree with this, because we do want people to read the pinned items.

Allowing them to clear the pin from the topic list means they could clear the pin without reading the topic. That is not desirable.

But, I still have the choice to totally ignore it, even if the topic title is in my face.

I think typical human behaviour here is, I see something I don’t like, I ignore it till it goes away. Honestly, I haven’t bothered to unpin the “Welcome to meta.discourse” topic. Not because I haven’t read it, not because I’m not interested, but because I have to make the conscious effort to go in, scroll to the bottom, find the button and click on “Clear pin”.

If it was something I am not interested in I am even less likely to go in and clear that pin unless my whole screen is full up of unpinned notices. Just saying… but I think that’s the typical response. To me it’s like having a banner at the top of the page which tells me I’m the 100000th visitor. It might always be there, but I just expect it to disappear one day.

You’re making it harder for people that want to be pro users of the system.

No amount of blinking text is going to make me open a topic I’m not interested in. That was the joy of having categories in an old-school forum because I can just ignore all of the “READ THIS BEFORE READING ANYTHING ELSE” or “YOU MUST READ THIS, ITS A MUST, A MUST!!!” and just get to the meat in the sandwich. By clicking on a topic I bypass all of the above messages.

What am I losing by ignoring your message? Possibly a slap on the wrist from some pro user. But as a pro user, I have to put up with seeing the same damn message every day. I think you’re inconveniencing the regular user and not the fly-by single poster.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Well, you could have cleared it the first time you read it, had that clear pin option existed at the time – and it will for all future users for the rest of time.

(Tim Stone) #5

The potential downside of this for me is that it still requires you to reach the end of the topic. Granted, that’s at most only one additional mouse click away, but in cases where the topic is pinned solely for the first post (like the outage notice) this feels like unnecessary effort.

I toyed with the idea of putting an actionable icon in the topic summary, but I don’t know that I like the mock-up:

(Daniel Watkins) #6

Arguably if something is important enough to be pinned, it’s important enough for you to read all of it. Though, of course, it is only an extra click to get past all that pesky reading.

(Tim Stone) #7

Yeah, but that’s not the case for the example I used, as the entire topic is just people commenting tangentially on the unpin feature.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Yet again a rare and freakish example.

(Tim Stone) #9

Hmm, do you really think so? In my experience it’s kind of par for the course for pinned items on other forums, unless they’re also locked (in which case this is a non-issue). The important information will be contained in the original post, and then the rest of the thread typically ends up being random people providing their own commentary.

(Sam Saffron) #10

completed via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/b9d4edd91a0f1c87a9227df58b04912e7471e925

(Sam Saffron) #11

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.