Clicking on the site logo in IE9 throws an exception in Ember

(tim) #1

When viewing a topic (seemingly, only when viewing a topic), clicking on the site logo in IE9 throws an exception within Ember.

I know we don’t care about IE9, but it’s the only annoying piece of functionality that’s broken that our users have found :smile:

(Bill Ayakatubby) #2

It’s a good thing IE9 isn’t a supported browser, then. :smile:

(tim) #3

Yup, I know, but “We do officially support Internet Explorer 9, but some functionality will be unavoidably broken.”. The bug report described is the only instance I’ve spotted of broken non-admin functionality. If I knew Ember, I’d have a go at fixing it myself. I don’t care if admin/moderator functionality is broken in IE9.

(Theron Boerner) #4

Solution: a big button to download chrome/firefox. Somebody get us a PR?

(tim) #5

Unfortunately our clients are mostly running on high school computer setups, which largely run outdated software which they’re not allowed to upgrade. IE9 being one such example.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Are they at IE9 minimum, at least?

If they have IE8 or lower they’ll see the javascript-disabled version of the site which is read only and basically HTML 3.2 like you’d expect on a 1997 version of the web.

(tim) #7

Yup, we (Grok Learning), don’t support anything less than IE9. We get a lot of complaints from schools about not supporting IE7 and IE8, but there’s no way that’s going to happen.

Anyway, if this bug doesn’t get fixed, I’m not too worried. I reported it so that it’s documented :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #8

@eviltrout I believe you last changed the logo click behavior, can you do a quick check to make sure it’s not broken in IE9? It is the main logo, so… very natural click target. Kind of a bummer to have that broken in IE9.

(Robin Ward) #9

Well that’s an hour of my life I’ll never get back :smile: Had to download an IE9 VM since the bug wasn’t present in emulation mode. I did change the logo last but the bug was introduced a lot longer ago than that. I’m amazed we never saw it before.

Anyway, here’s the fix:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/7f6bace7c5ec6535c9be28ffce8a07dfddfcf232

(Jeff Atwood) #10