Closed topics should change the hovertext of "Reply" button

(Kane York) #1

Would like to see hovertext resembling the following:

“You may not reply to this topic because it is closed.”
“You may not invite friends to reply because the topic is closed.”

Going along the principle of “Tell users why the buttons are grayed out.”

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Seems reasonable, but isn’t the close reason right there in the post above the button, highlighted in yellow?

I wonder if we need to worry about a subtlety like the tooltip when there is a GIANT HONKING YELLOW MESSAGE directly above?

(Kane York) #3

Good point, let’s just hide the buttons instead (feels like the preferred solution).

(Zachary Lewis) #4

What about this use case?

Susan clicks on a topic she hasn’t read yet without noticing the “locked” icon. She begins reading the topic and about halfway through, she notices someone asking if anyone has experience with breeding bulldogs. Susan has information she’d like to share and hasn’t yet reached the yellow “closed” message, so she hovers over the Reply button, informing her, “Begin composing a reply to this post” and is very confused when she is unable to reply.

Since Susan is assuming the topic is open, both the lack of reply buttons or existing reply buttons and tooltips would be confusing. There should be a way to reinforce the “locked” icon in the header and the controls the user is looking for.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Reasonable point, I think I would prefer to put the closed/locked icon on each reply button in place of the reply glyph, though.

Or just pull the reply button altogether in those cases.

(It’s worth mentioning that closed and locked topics aren’t really that common on most forums.)

(Kane York) #6

The per-post reply buttons get pulled, but not the one at the bottom of the topic - I think this is actually a clear-cut case for pulling the one at the bottom.

(Zachary Lewis) #7

@riking And nothing changes for admins and other power-users?

(Ryan Vergeront) #8

I created a PR to remove the button instead of disabling it. Thoughts?

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/1950

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Thanks! Should be OK, provided it’s not removed for staff or other members that can post even to closed topics.