Closed Topics should not show up as unread

(Lowell Heddings) #1

Lately I have seen a lot of closed topics showing up as unread for me. It’s annoying.

I don’t care if a topic is closed, and since I can’t respond anyway why does it show up?

(Sam Saffron) #2

This is by-design, you said you were interested in said topic. It’s closure is an important and interesting event.

cc @codinghorror

(Lowell Heddings) #3

If a recent topic was closed for some reason then sure it might be important and maybe even interesting.
But when an old forgotten topic gets closed it isn’t interesting.
Anyway I had no expectations of it being changed, just wanted to complain that I don’t like it.

(Sam Saffron) #4

I am not against adding a feature here.

The reason this happened is cause I started being militant with bugs and features. Now that they are top level nav items on meta I want them well organised.

Bugs refer to a single, well defined defect. Features refer to a single requested feature request. What we have here is a “support” request, and it looks like you would also like the feature request “Please allow a site setting to bypass all bumping and notifications when an old topic is closed (site setting to define what old means)”

I am fine with the new feature request, I think it can make sense.

(cpradio) #5

I personally dislike how it bumps the topic and sends notifications too, but not to the extent I’m ready to complain about it yet :wink:

I’m actually torn on it. On one hand, it is nice that the OP and other recipients get notified, on the other, when I’m watching most categories, it is annoying that I get it purely because I’m watching most categories (and thus the topics) even though I didn’t participate in the topic.

(Kane York) #6

Note: It doesn’t bump the topic in the Latest list, but it does in your Suggested Topics if you’re tracking+ the topic.

(cpradio) #7

True, but I’m rarely on the Latest List Actually it seems to be affecting our Latest list… The SitePoint Forums (look for “Need a “Spend more than €xxx and get 30% discount” option with paypal”, the original post was in 2011)

I live primarily on unread, new, suggested, and the category page. All of which are affected (well not new – obviously).

I’m surprised it affects the category page…

(Kane York) #8

No, it doesn’t…

(cpradio) #9

Seems to on ours…

The post prior to closing/archiving, was a LONG time ago, yet, they are the top 3 topics on both pages.

Maybe because we are using Archived, instead of Closed? Or was this a recent change that we might not have yet?

(Sam Saffron) #10

Possibly archived, just confirmed closing is not messing with the list on categories here.

(cpradio) #11

Not to pollute this area anymore, should I open this as a feature/bug? Should archive be bumping the topic list and related pages?

(Sam Saffron) #12

We need a repro first, so repro this issue on local first, then open a bug.

(cpradio) #13

My apologies, you can disregard all my statements on archived topics bumping the lists. I just figured out what happened (someone edited the last “real” post, excluding the archive auto-generated post) which bumped the topic (since it was the last post). Duh! (where is the face palm smiley ;)) :facepunch: (ouch…)

(Mittineague) #14

Yes, that was me. AFAIK if I Archive a topic before editing the last post, the topic does not get bumped because the “now archived” post is considered the last post.

But it took me while to understand what scenarios led to the bumping so that I could avoid it from happening. And I few times I have been working bleary-eyed long past when I should have stopped and made the mistake of not Archiving first.

As for the “now closed” Notifications being annoying, I don’t have any problem with getting them. In some cases I appreciate knowing a concern has been resolved and if the topic was not of great interest it’s just a brief mental note that the topic has been closed and I quickly move on.

(Lowell Heddings) #15

It really wasn’t a support request, it was something that seemed like a bug to me based on a prior topic:

Since it’s not a bug, then I guess it’s a feature request, but it’s really just a way for me to point out something in the default functionality that doesn’t make sense and seems annoying to me as a regular forum user here.

I don’t like getting a bunch of notifications when old topics are closed just because the forum owner wants to do some cleanup… and I’m guessing that most people would agree. It screws up my regular usage of the forum – I want to check and see if there are any notifications or unread posts, and then I have to go through all of them only to figure out that they were all just simply closed and there’s nothing to actually read. But there’s no way to know that until I click through.

When a moderator / administrator closes an old topic, it should be considered exactly the same as when the system auto-closes a topic, and shouldn’t count as an unread post since there’s nothing to actually read.

Perhaps a smarter way to do it would be to add a “reason” for the topic to be closed which has a checkbox for “silent close”.

But it’s not something I feel like fighting for, and I’m not sure if there’s value in adding another setting that only applies to forum moderators / administrators that happen to do cleanup on old topics and probably wouldn’t know about the setting anyway.

(Sam Saffron) #16

@codinghorror can you make a call here.

On one hand,

Some people tracking a topic may desperately want to be somehow informed when it closes. For example a bug fix.

On the other hand,

Some people tracking a topic may hate being notified of topics they no longer can interact with.

We already have code the provides the read credit automatically if needed, we can easily patch it in. I don’t mind changing the behavior and think that probably not notifying here is better.

Note, if people go and edit close message text after they close a topic no one will be notified.

(Mittineague) #17

There is if you go by "Suggested Topics"
i.e. the two suppot topics with the lock icon are closed.

(Lowell Heddings) #18

If a big was fixed logically the person (you) will post that it is fixed. And then close.

So they will be notified correctly in that case.

(Jeff Atwood) #19

I think the ideal behavior is to only notify the topic owner when this happens. I agree for the rest of the world, clicking through to find a close message is not what you had in mind when you see that little blue unread circle… you want a real reply.

(probus) #20

This topic came into my mind after I read this:

After you close old topics they appear in the suggested topics list for those who have read them. This could potentially be tens or hundreds of topics after a moderator does some cleanup work.

Is there any way to do some kind of bulk topic close without them showing up as unread?