Closing own created Topics for users at level 3

votes-friendly

(Hrishikesh Thakre) #1

Continuing the discussion from What do user trust levels do?:

Many times on this very forum I have raised bugs and when they get fixed I have to request for closing them, which I think is unnecessary waste of time for admin team.

If at level 3 one can “Recategorize and rename topics” (even other’s topics) then they he/she should be allowed to close their own topics.

People should be able to close there own topic!
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Not a bad idea. Other than bug reports, which is a pretty narrow use case, where do you see this being used?

(Sam Saffron) #3

Personally I dislike that we have the concept of bug status married with topic closed vs archived etc.

A bug can be closed as “wont fix” it could be “fixed” but require additional discussion and so on.

In my ideal world we would be using a “bugs” plugin to allow for the extra semantics we need.

So I am not sure this use case is even valid for bugs.

(Hrishikesh Thakre) #4

I would like to even close some of my support request’s like help for email or setup and even some feature request because they either existed in some other way or has been implemented now.

Also many of the thread’s have context of time in which they were created, things which were applicable in say August when I came on this forum and now are quite different. Personally I won’t like to discuss on some of those threads now and would like to close them. If required, I or anyone else can create new thread and re-start a discussion.

There is another way to look at it

As per current privileges of users at level 4, user can almost do everything on the forum like pinning / unpinning, closing, splitting, merging topics (of everyone), creating /editing categories but then at level 3 he can’t even manage his own created threads. As I grow up on the forum i want to start taking care of my own actions and then others.

So, it will be good if at level 3 he at-least get a control of his own threads to a larger extent.

Finally it depended on every forum and their category definitions and meaning they assign to closing / archiving topics.

Although I agree, it is can be a handy feature, but not really must or high priority one.

(cpradio) #5

The only valid option I can see is the original poster feels the topic was sufficiently covered/answered. Which also brings up the big negative, forums are for discussions, as soon as you close a topic, the discussion is over (unless someone starts a new thread on the same topic).

I know I wouldn’t want some of my members who will likely get promoted to level 3 to close their own topics, as they are very opinionated and would likely close it to prevent others from chiming in with ideas the original poster doesn’t want to hear (even though they are valid).

Just my 2 cents.

(Hrishikesh Thakre) #6

Creating a new topic is as easy as replying to existing one and user (irrespective of trust level) can do it.
And discussion can continue. He can even select a particular post and start new topic from it.

IMHO, if you have problematic user who are about to become level 3 and over a period to reach level 4, you are dealing with altogether different problem. Because with this logic only Admins (designated) should only have all the privileges.

(cpradio) #7

From what I recall, users can be automatically promoted up to Level 3, however, beyond that, they are manually promoted to 4 and 5 (potentially, I heard this through the grapevine, so I might be wrong about it).

Either way, I don’t see any benefit to allowing members to close their own topics. The only real outcome you can see is discussions being squandered and having to be re-started. Why is that something you’d want?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #8

I fully agree. You close topics when you want to forcibly stop discussion, usually because the thread has stopped producing value and is now wasting writers’ and readers’ time.

Just because a discussion has reached its natural end (bug was squashed, beef was squashed, feature request was squashed) doesn’t mean you should halt discussion permanently. “Thread necromancy” is only an issue when when people reply to threads that should have been closed in the first place. So long as the discussion merely stopped but didn’t decay, there’s nothing wrong with adding something new to it, no matter how old.

On my own forum I wanna rely on flagging to close threads, because in my community thread-closing should be a rare occurrence.

Allow regular user to archive (or close) their own topic?

I had this same question!

Why don’t we have this now?

Essentially this, I’d say.
Yes, I know I’m almost a year late.