Closing topics should not result in phantom unread posts

(Lowell Heddings) #1

Agreed. This just happened to me for the zillionth time.

Even more annoying is that I was closing topics… So I shouldn’t be seeing them as unread anyway.

Closed Topics should not show up as unread
"Mark all read" button on all New and Unread topics
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Can you describe the exact flow of your closes, step by step, and on what device?

Edit: is this also another case of needing a “bulk operate on a bunch of topics at once” feature where the operation in this particular case is close?

(Lowell Heddings) #3

I closed them on my iPhone and all was well. Later I noticed that a ton of unread posts had shown up (were not there during or right after closing)

The problem would be solved with bulk edit tools for sure.

Mark all as read would help, but I would also like a way to edit a ton of topics at once (I want to close all the HTG article topics older than 10 days)

(Ben Lubar) #4

In edit category -> settings there’s a setting that can do that for you automatically.

(Lowell Heddings) #5

I have that set but it only works for new topics, and there are a lot of old topics in there.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

If the last message in the topic is a close or archive message, I don’t think it should even count those as unread messages, e.g. here

When we click through on some of those, you see the ONLY unread reply is a close message:

While this will only affect closed topics, and thus not that many people, it affects us a lot and it is probably annoying to any user with a read position in that topic, too.

(Sam Saffron) #7

The error is more wide spread. When you create a post our pipeline is not marking it read by the creator. This is just weird.

Will fix.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Probably safe to say if you wrote the post, you have already read it :wink:

(Sam Saffron) #9

I actually think I fixed this now.

You are provided read credit unconditionally for any posts you create.

(Jeff Atwood) #10