Code block looks wrong in e-mail w/ Thunderbird default dark colors

1. wrong colors
  2. no scroll

3 Likes

I know we’ve had a few email format related fixes in the last few days, first suggestion would be to update the site.

3 Likes

I don’t maintain OpenWrt’s discourse but can ask the administrator if these fixes were released, weren’t they?

1 Like

Yep, reach out to the admin. They should be able to run an upgrade.

1 Like

We are already on 2.5.0.beta4 with the OpenWrt forum.
To which discourse version should we update?

1 Like

You may be updating within the same version, just ensure you are running the lastest code.

3 Likes

@532910 Site updated to 2.5.0-beta5. That’s the best I can do now.

/ted (OpenWrt - sysadmin)

4 Likes

2.5.0-beta5 has the same issue

4 Likes

I believe this is quite a complex email specific HTML and CSS issue which depends on the email client, so it’s only indirectly a Discourse issue, I know @simon looked at this very recently as well using the Litmus email testing system.

1 Like

I’m testing this with the same version.

When I send test emails with codeblocks to Litmus, I’m not seeing the problems that are in the initial post in this topic. For long blocks of code, the full code block is displayed. I am seeing a small issue with the background color of codeblocks not extending the full width of the code on the Thunderbird email client, but the code is still legible:

What email client are you using to read the emails? Have any customizations been made to the email template or CSS that can be edited from the site’s Admin / Customize / Email Style section?

4 Likes

Looks like OP is using dark mode? Maybe that’s the issue?

3 Likes

This is Thunderbird 68.8.1 from debian sid, I believe it uses gecko and the content should look similar to firefox 76.0.1 where it looks fine.

The style for this html violates that both fg and bg colors should be defined together and relies on common default: black_fg/white_bg:

<div style="padding-top:5px;"><pre style="word-wrap: break-word; max-width: 694px;"><code style="display: block; background-color: #f1f1ff; padding: 5px;; background-color: #f1f1ff; padding: 2px 5px;">

(BTW, Why it’s so sloppy? padding and background-color are repeated twice.)

Moreover looks like it ignores my discourse-user preferences, tb style and tries to display this in light mode.

Just noticed, that mails from Discourse Meta looks pretty good, but they are white. (While messages from 2.5.0-beta5 that I’ve just installed locally looks bad.)

Could someone reply here with a long-line code block to how it will look on my side, please.

1 Like

Here’s a long line block :wink:

<div style="padding-top:5px;"><pre style="word-wrap: break-word; max-width: 694px;"><code style="display: block; background-color: #f1f1ff; padding: 5px;; background-color: #f1f1ff; padding: 2px 5px;">
3 Likes

Looks good, except theme and scrolling:

3 Likes