Comments not visible in both collapse view and as separate

(Konstantinos Karatsevidis) #1

Hi there!

We are very happy customers of discourse and we have a very fast-growing and active community. The work you have done with discourse is amazing guys! As our community becomes bigger we ran into an issue with too many replies in a thread that are too hard to go through. When we start a thread we get around 250 and sometimes 500 replies to it which makes whole discussion inaccessible to new users.

We are crowd developing our next product in our community. Here is what our product manager has to say : :slight_smile:

Eve-Mike:
We have ran into usability issues regarding Discourse. In our popular threads we might have hundreds of comments and it is very hard to pick up valuable user data from the comments because Discourse shows the comments in both expanded view (which is good) but then the same comment later as separate.

Its very hard for users to track where the comment is intended to response and it bloats the overall discussion, making it harder to navigate to interesting discussions.

Can we have collapse-only in the discussion. That way separate and off-topic discussion have their own “columns” and the comments inteded to respond only one or two members are only shown if you want to see more about that discussion, similar to reddit / youtube.

Looking forward to your reply

(Tom Newsom) #5

You’re talking about Threaded Conversations. You should know that Discourse is fundamentally opposed to threaded conversations. It’s a religious matter :slight_smile:

http://blog.codinghorror.com/web-discussions-flat-by-design/

(Konstantinos Karatsevidis) #6

@Tom_Newsom, makes sense! You are right, if we want reddit style we go there:)

What about that experimental feature? Where can it be found? @Falco

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #8

Looks like it was removed. And yeah, it was broken if the reply wasn’t already loaded on the page.

I had the same problem @Konstantinos_Karatse is facing with a user, and with some older users too.

But the main driving factor, was that people we’re trying to fit too much stuff in a single topic, when I got to make then spread stuff across many topics, it became way easier for then (and everyone) to follow trough.

(Tom Newsom) #9

Yeah, Reply As Linked Topic is the solution to this problem.

(Pad Pors) #10

with reply as linked topic, you’ll have lots of correlated topics with few answers. it’s like shifting from a crowded topic page to a crowded topic-list page; not a good solution.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

I am not clear, what does this mean?

(Tom Newsom) #12

:

Threading (one level deep)

(Jeff Atwood) #13

If that is the request (I’m not sure it is?), traditional threading is not planned for the forseeable future @Konstantinos_Karatse.

It looks like the topic in question is titled Suggest a Feature so it is kind of a ‘kitchen sink’ topic that can hold anything. It would be better to have a Suggested Feature Category (or subcategory) where people can create topics proposing a feature, and others can respond to those features in each proposal topic.

If you really want a brainstorming topic, you’d need some discipline around people staying on topic with merely brainstorming, suggesting ideas, and not replying for 30 replies with tons of details about a proposed feature – those should be moved to their own dedicated topics.

(Konstantinos Karatsevidis) #14

Thanks for advice. Its quite clear now! We have just did that recently. Now users have to put separate features as separate threads. We got 20 new topics overnight. But they are much easier to navigate through.

(Jay Pfaffman) #15

You can also have moderators split off topic threads into their item topics.

(Sam Saffron) #16

I think this boils down to my age old desire to use “collapsing” as opposed to “stream duplication” when expanding up and down.

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Destroys ability to like and reply in context though, so very crippling design choice.

(Sam Saffron) #18

I think the biggest side effect would potential to create enormous reading holes.

Upsides are

• No stream duplication
  • Can trivially like, bookmark etc all the expanded replies and “in reply to”
  • Arguably less confusing

Downsides

• When collapsing downwards you create huge “reading holes” which will be very hard to catch up on