Compare Discourse and other systems

(xiasummer) #1

I want to build a communication for a small group of about 15 people. You see this is a very small group which makes it not so suitable for having a forum system like discourse although Discourse can certainly do the job.

And I want the system to have some Project Control Features, maybe discourse have some plugins for this.

So I checked the odoo system, which is a very classical ERP system and find this picture on this page

• It seems that discourse and odoo are both very unpopular. Why is that?

• And what about the Jommla and Drupal?

And I checked the most popularity of CRMs

So why is that Discourse is not ranking well in this list?

(Matt Palmer) #2

Probably because Discourse isn’t a CRM. It’s not an ERP, nor is it a project management tool.

(Markus) #3

Discourse is very mighty for a wide range of applications. I have e.g. an instance as LMS with all my university data, one category for each course and a lot of wikis and links. If you’re completely in control with user privileges and setttings, you can do amazing things in team work …

But it will never fulfill all the regulatory requirements and specs of an ERP, PMS (with quality and complience mangement system) …

(Stephen Chung) #4

Discourse is not a CMS. You are comparing oranges with Oreo cookies.

(Bhanu Sharma) #5

Discourse is a Community tool (Forum).
It does the best what it is supposed to do!

Not every website on the internet needs a dedicated forum solution, Most of them either have their own commenting/reaction systems integrated (e.g. wordpress comments) or they don’t care about their visitors’ response.

plus, Discourse is probably faraway from the understanding of Your layman installation units running on shared cpanel hosts and using softaculous or similar service’s one click install solution.

While Discourse does what it’s supposed to do in the best in class way (among the reasons why internet giants like twitter & mozilla chose discourse for their community forums) it is in no way Your traditional Content management system.

This thread Probably needs to be taken into off topic as this is No feature request or inclusion.

(xiasummer) #8

Seems CMS is a bigger concept.

2016 e.g.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #9

Yes, because it’s a much broader term. Also, practically every site needs a CMS of some kind, but only community sites need a forum.

I’m not sure what you are trying to discuss here.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

It is true that longer term, everything turns into a CMS. Customers have in fact asked us to do this, specifically Boing Boing. They wanted to drop WordPress and do everything in Discourse.

So it’s not that crazy to ask about it, but it is also more of a long term thing. WordPress wasn’t a CMS either, when it originally launched as purely blog software in 2003. That happened over the next decade.

(Matt Palmer) #11

Every system expands until it can edit text and send e-mail. Except EMACS.