Comparison of Discourse vs. Wiki vs. Blog

(Justin Gordon) #1

Has anybody done or seen a good writeup on the best use cases, comparing and contrasting:

1. Discourse
  2. Wiki
  3. Blog
  4. Facebook Group or Page

I’m working with an engineering team that uses a Jira Wiki and I’d like to compare it to Discourse.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I think the easy way to answer this is to look at the sites that do what you listed:

1. Discourse
  2. Wikipedia
  3. Blogger / Medium / WordPress / Tumblr
  4. Facebook

When and why would you go to Facebook instead of Tumblr?

When and why would you go to Wikipedia instead of Medium?

I believe users can answer this for themselves, and I think the answers would be illuminating, more than any opinions I might have.

(Marcin Rataj) #3

I might provide some insight on this as I deployed Discourse in IT company that already had a Wiki solution (provided by Redmine).

So far both coexist happily as our use cases are different:

Wiki is a notebook with current state of knowledge, instructions and procedures related to each project.

Discourse is a place for cross-disciplinary Q&A, link exchange, general talks about past (why some things are implemented the way they are, historical background on design decisions) and future (bootstrapping projects, company-wide announcements, meetups, conferences etc).

I assume that by “JIra Wiki” you meant Confluence. The line dividing both worlds may be thinner if your team use it because Confluence tries to be many things and has some rudimentary “discussion“ features on top of a regular Wiki. Personally, I think that even then it may be beneficial to separate fluid discussions from static instructions and procedures – just for clarity reasons.

That being said, if your team/company already established habits, it may be really hard to change them, even if you introduce them to a superior tool.

(Sam Saffron) #4

The poster-child example is, if your users are accustomed to using “mailman” for all discussions, introducing anything that is not “mailman” will lead to enormous amounts fighting.

(Alessio Fattorini) #5

@sam that’s so sad :frowning: we can change it! Please let this shift as smoother as possibile… For example with a better reply inline to notification

It’s hard but it’s possible! Please believe it :wink: