Configuring Patreon integration with Discourse

Not sure if this is different from what I’ve done. I have the automated Patreon group, and a manually-managed Patreon-with-a-trailing-space group for members who contribute financially but not through Patreon. The problem with this is if you go to /groups there are two groups. Is “mirror group” different?

2 Likes

I have an issue with web hooks sent by Patreon: When a member delete his/her pledge, this event is immediately sent to the Discourse instance (using a hook) and as the consequence, my user looses immediately access to areas reserved to contributors (I do this using synchronized groups). As I understand, the current implementation of the Discourse-Patron plugin does not take into account this situation. Any idea of how to solve this problem?

This seems like the intended behavior- if they stop paying, they lose access to premium content. Are you saying you want them to stay in the group forever, even if they stop paying?

No, I was not clear enough. When someone pays, it is for the full month (in general, there is an exception). If you pay on the 1st of December, you get rewards for the whole month of December, even if you delete the pledge on December 2nd.

1 Like

My first thought on reading this is that it’s the intended behaviour, but as you note:

I agree. If a user pays for a month’s membership on Patreon, they should not be removed from the membership tier’s associated Discourse group until the end of the monthly period, even if they have deleted their pledge after making the month’s payment. I’ll test this on my own site. If I am able to duplicate the issue, we will look into what can be done to resolve it.

6 Likes

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this. I can confirm that when a user cancels a membership on Patreon, they will be removed from the Discourse groups that are associated with the membership the next time Patreon data is synced to Discourse.

This seems less than ideal, but it is consistent with how Patreon handle cancelled membership. Here’s what I see when I cancel a membership on Patreon:

Given that, I’m not sure it would surprise a user that they are also loosing access to the associated Discourse group. I’m not sure how this could be handled differently on the Discourse end.

@falco, do you know if Patreon supply any details when groups are synced that could be used to determine if a user has cancelled their membership before the end of a billing period? My assumption is that they don’t supply that information.

3 Likes

Well, the way Patreon is working is somewhat complicated: if you activate “Charge upfront” (it is my case), the access stops at the end of the month:

If “Charge upfront” is not activated, the access stops immediately (as in your example).

There is also Annual membership, which ends after the 1 year period, not when the user cancel the membership.

Source: https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407273239693

2 Likes