Confirmation Email Not Sent To User

(David Kwan) #1

Hi, a user tried to sign up on my site and did not receive the confirmation email so I had to activate her account from my admin panel. While her email shows up under her user, she is still not receiving email notifications. Does anyone have any tips for troubleshooting this so she receives email notifications again?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

What email service does this person use? Some email services are notorious for poor deliverability, where email goes into a black hole.

(David Kwan) #3

They use Gmail but it’s through their school domain. The weird thing is that her email does show up under her user and it does show she’s recently received an email according to last emailed, but she’s still not seeing them. She’s checked her spam folder too.

(Wiliam Joaquim) #4

Gmail is not recommended for mailing, see some recommended, we believe that elastic is a better option, with a relatively large limit.

(Joseph Coates) #5

Has she checked her spam folder at her school (not just the gmail spam folder)? It could have been snagged at the school before things forwarded to her gmail account.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

That is odd, Gmail is a very reliable provider.

(Jay Pfaffman) #7

What nail service are you using to send mail?

Have you gone through the email troubleshooting guide?

(thuy nguyen ba) #8

I have also had similar cases, inbox and spam are not available, but a few cases found in all mail. Try checking again

(Joseph Coates) #9

Gmail lets you set rules that makes messages skip your inbox. I have all notification messages from various websites get categorized as a notification and skip my inbox. Best way to do this is by setting a rule for emails “from”… perhaps you have a rule based on the text of the message?

(David Kwan) #10

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will have her check her school spam folder, her “All Mail” folder, and for any rules which make our email notifications skip her inbox. @pfaffman , we are using mailgun. I looked at the logs on there and it’s showing 2%~ of emails being either supresed or dropped. I see a couple temporary and permanent fails due to 451 and 554 errors, but they aren’t associated with the users who complained about not getting email notifications. Should I be looking elsewhere? Also, can you point me to the email troubleshooting guide?

(Jay Pfaffman) #11

Searching “email trouble” shows Troubleshooting email on a new Discourse install as the first hit. :slight_smile:

You can check the mailgun logs to see whether the notifications are getting delivered to her mail server. You can’t tell what happens after that, however.

And from the “it’s not plugged in” department, one common reason for not receiving an email message is that you entered the wrong email address and the email is being sent somewhere else. My wife regularly gets email for someone with the same name who apparently is unable to type or remember their own email address.