Confused about the "Nice Share" badge

(TechnoBear) #1

Continuing the discussion from Nice share counting visits from within the forum?:

As with mcwumbly in that topic, I have badges (both here and on SitePoint) for posts I don’t recall sharing. One (on SitePoint) I know I linked to from within the same topic, but I can’t imagine I would ever have linked to it from elsewhere. The posts are not linked from other topics on the same forum (as there is no link information back beside these posts). It’s possible that I’ve linked between SitePoint and Meta (and forgotten about it), but again, that seems unlikely for some of these posts.

Which is a convoluted way of asking: what is the criteria used for awarding these badges?

How do I find the "Popular links" section?
(Jeff Atwood) #2

External links with your username that someone clicked on a different website. The referrer is checked

Like so

https://discourse.xyz.org/t/topic-title/123?u=codinghorror

(TechnoBear) #3

Thanks - that’s what I thought.

But as I say, I seem to have badges for posts I have no recollection of sharing. The only places I would share are between here and SitePoint, and very occasionally on our staff Slack channel. Slack doesn’t have many members and would never get 25 clicks.

I don’t use Twitter, Facebook or any other social media; I don’t have a blog or do blog commenting. In fact, I’m positively reclusive and antisocial by Internet standards. So how do I have this badge 34 times on our instance? Why, for example, would I ever have shared this post? (Except in a topic discussing the unlikelihood of me sharing it… :upside_down:)

Rel=nofollow set for TrustLevel 3
(Jeff Atwood) #4

Sure @techapj can you look into this and find the referers for @TechnoBear just to audit that we are in fact doing this correctly?

(cpradio) #5

Two examples can be found at
https://www.sitepoint.com/community/t/badges-awarded-incorrectly/222042

If that helps any. No idea if specific examples would be useful. We’ve been trying to figure it out ourselves with little success.

(Stefano Costa) #6

Is it possible that a link posted to Slack is crawled in the background, maybe more than once?

I’ve seen this happen in a similar scenario (Twitter direct messages) and it wouldn’t be surprising. Of course the question is whether that is counted by Discourse or not.

(cpradio) #7

It is a private slack channel, so the only thing that should have hit it at least once, was Slack’s oneboxing call. And we’re assuming either of the recent examples were even posted in Slack, and I can’t see why she would have posted either of those there.

Good thought though!

(TechnoBear) #8

I was awarded this yet again on our site today, this time for this post.

I am 100% certain I have never shared that on Slack. The only other external site where I might post links is here. 99% of the time, those links are to illustrate aberrant behaviour on our site, and in those cases, I have almost always linked to the posts in a topic on our site first, to ask others to confirm the behaviour before I post it here. Like several other posts I’ve checked for which I’ve been awarded this badge, I have not linked to that topic in our forum, and can’t see why I would have linked to it here.

(Mittineague) #9

I got a Nice Share for this

AFAICT I had nothing at all to do with that topic, and am 99.9999999 % sure I’ve never linked to it.

EDIT
Ah, I have posted links to the HTML & CSS Category
eg. Please start a topic in

(TechnoBear) #10

But have you posted those links on an external site, or only on SitePoint? The badge is supposed to be awarded for

Quite a number of my badges are for posts I know I did share within the SitePoint forum, but don’t think I’ve ever linked to from elsewhere. Some of the more recent ones I have no recollection of ever linking to at all (with the exception of the one I mentioned which was linked within the same topic), and no internal links show in the gutter.

(Mittineague) #11

To the About, nowhere, ever,

To the category?

If anywhere, only SitePoint and here when members ask basic HTML & CSS questions that are more to do with basics in general rather than Discourse in particular.

(TechnoBear) #12

And today, yet another “Nice Share” badge for a post I’ve never shared (until now).

https://www.sitepoint.com/community/t/what-are-all-factors-involved-in-choosing-the-best-hosting/197886/2?u=technobear

I would never have linked to that post; I’d have linked directly to the resource it links to. (That I have done on a number of occasions, but only within our forum.)

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #13

Alright, while we are talking about strange “Nice Share” badges, I’ve got some.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-is-the-best-way-to-react-to-emotional-messages-that-touch-personalities-rather-than-topics-a-question-to-experienced-mods/38453?u=jomaxro
That’s here on Meta, and I’m sure I’ve never shared the topic anywhere. I didn’t even participate in the topic. I linked to the topic (from here), but that’s it.

Over on my instance, I’ve received the badge for sharing our welcome post, as well as an eclectic array of bug report topics. None of which I have ever shared outside of the forum. The only times I’ve ever linked to a topic somewhere else is when submitting a #bug here, but none of those topics were referenced in a report.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

Yes I was hoping @techapj would have time to look into this soon.

(Arpit Jalan) #15

I looked into it, and it seems like most of the records in incoming_links table are from web crawlers, for example:

(I looked into incoming_links records for myself, TechnoBear and jomaxro, and the above IPs were consitently present for all three of us.)

Due to this, the badge is getting awarded inconsistently.

I agree with Sam’s suggestion here:

“referred clicks” referrer list
(cpradio) #16

So I’m a bit confused. But if we’re not the owner of the topic, nor a participant, and we don’t think we shared the link with our “referral” anywhere, how are we getting attributed for the link if it is coming from a crawler?

I was granted a badge for this one, as an example

I can’t think of anywhere in the WWW, that I would have posted a link to that topic (not saying that it doesn’t exist, but it seems very odd for me to do it).

Another example:

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #18

I am confused about what @sam was suggesting 2 years ago. Are you saying that when a topic is linked within a site, the ?u=username should be stripped? What exactly does that part of the link do anyway?

(Jeff Atwood) #19

Correct, the local links are being crawled and triggering “external” hits. @sam’s fix is the correct one, to auto-remove the username param from links posted on the site itself e.g. right here.

(TechnoBear) #20

That makes sense - except most of the posts for which I’ve been awarded this don’t have local links - mine or anybody else’s. If they have been linked to from elsewhere on the same forum, then the linking topics will appear in the gutter - and there are no links there.

(Mittineague) #21

I’m thinking the bots might be picking up oneboxed links that aren’t always obvious (might explain at least some of the mysterious counts) .

For example, the second post by TechnoBear in this topic has
https://www.sitepoint.com/community/t/how-to-find-out-the-duplicate-content/198577/26?u=technobear

The onebox doesn’t display the “?u=technobear” and there is no gutter link.[quote=“codinghorror, post:19, topic:43180”]
auto-remove the username param from links
[/quote]

Or at least from the bot-view pages