Continuing the discussion from "text-transform: lowercase" in CSS prevents proper capitalization

(Gerhard Schlager) #1

Continuing the discussion from “text-transform: lowercase” in CSS prevents proper capitalization:

Sounds like an ugly hack that doesn’t really scale if you decide that other translations should be lowercase / uppercase too.

Why not add three new CSS classes which contain only the three values of text-transform and apply them where needed? Then you would only need to add three new translations and you could use those wherever you want. Transifex allows adding instructions to each translation. That should help the translators…

(Jeff Atwood) #2

The intent was for all languages to have lowercase text there, but I’m not sure if CSS text-transform: lowercase can correctly unicode “downcase” every language.

You seemed to imply that it was not downcasing German correctly, or that the German in that particular case had to have uppercase characters or else it was an invalid word in the German language.

(Gerhard Schlager) #3

Well, I’m not sure about the unicode stuff…

And you are right. In German nouns have to be capitalized. So, the text-transform: lowercase wasn’t appropriate.

However, since this is not a problem with English - and probably some other languages too - it doesn’t seem right to add new translations for design choices. I’d rather have only three new translations and let translators decide if lowercase, uppercase and capitalize are appropriate in their language. Just my 2 cents.