Contributing.md mentions a CHANGELOG

(Elegios) #1

Is this CHANGELOG a reference to a file that exists somewhere that I can’t find? Or is it just encouraging us to use proper commit messages?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yeah that text is kind of boilerplate. Editing it now! Thanks for the reminder.

Our official changelog is here:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commits/master

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

There are many simple tricks you can employ to generate static changelogs for point releases, for instance:

Using GitHub’s compare view is another handy trick, but I don’t think it works with Discourse’s branch workflow.

As a non-developer it’s a lot easier to follow a “new in v0.2” static page as opposed to the continuous stream in the master branch.

(Benjamin lupton) #4

Sifting through changelog entries to find out what affects me as the person using/deploying/installing discourse isn’t useful.

There needs to be proper release notes with what are new features, what are changed features, what bugs where fixed, and what b/c breaks there are.

For instance, upgrading to v1.3.0.beta4 from v1.3.0.beta3 means I have to sift through all of this Comparing v1.3.0.beta3...v1.3.0.beta4 · discourse/discourse · GitHub just to discover if there is anything that impacts me - that’s a time expensive process and not a reasonable request - especially when multiplied by every discourse administrator.

Some inspiration:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

You can just look at the releases category here, it has what you want. (for major releases, anyway).

In general we are not in the category of large scale, slowly updated projects – you should assume we’re moving quickly and adding lots of awesome new features every month, for the forseeable future.

After a few years, we might get to be more of a slowly lumbering behemoth of a project with less frequent updates.

(Caue Rego) #6

Got here from loving such descriptive and easy to read commits I just stumbled to see @zogstrip doing - very much unlike those changelogs, in their own way)! :slight_smile:

Are you suggesting we should wait for major upgrades if we want to easily keep up to date with the changes, @codinghorror ? Although I’d love that idea the problem is clearly, I suppose, security patches.

How about doing some kind of Discourse LTS then, and releasing just needed patches between major releases, since they currently happen so often anyway? :stuck_out_tongue:

PS: loved the new cmd + K for links rather than the old conflicting cmd + L! :smiley: