Contributing to Discourse

(Islam Wazery) #1

I am a junior Ruby in Rails developer, I wrote several applications from scratch, here is my Linkedin profile. I love to contribute back to the community as much as I can. Previously before working as a web developer I used to contribute to KDE, and I am an official KDE developer (GSoC 2012 student, 2013 mentor). I hope to contribute to Discourse as I am motivated with its idea, and I hope to add some useful work to it.

I just hope you guys to guide me to a project (not just some tasks) to start working on, till that, I will try as much as I can to search for easy bugs that I can fix and patch them, so I grasp a good picture of the code base. I have read the contributing guide, and I am not sure if the projects listed there are outdated, so I emailed Sam Safforn who recommended me to open a topic on meta. I hope that I didn’t bother you guys, sorry if I did.

(cpradio) #2

Bah, you can’t be more of a bother than me :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve got zero ruby experience and zero rails experience, and I’m trying to get my feet wet! :smile:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

In addition to bug fixing, which is great, there’s nothing stopping you from trying to add some new features either, but they should definitely come in the form of plugins, that way you don’t need to deal with the “… but is it suitable for core?” debate.

Step 1

have a look through the Extensibility and Feature categories, plus the Awesome Plugin thread (summarize it to see popular suggestions), and look for the most popular ideas that are floating around.

Step 2

Do a “Reply as new Topic” to the idea you’d like to pursue, select the Extensibility category for your new thread, and let everyone know that you’re planning to work on this idea. Optionally ask for additional input if you think you need it.

(Sam Saffron) #4

What are you interested in changing / working on ? It’s always better to be working on something you are passionate about.

(Régis Hanol) #5