Converting public to private

(Geoff Bowers) #1

Have been recently involved in a botched attempt at migrating a mailing list to Discourse. However, the community has decided to try hosting a private group for admin etc.

So I now have a discourse forum full of users I no longer want in there, since things are supposed to be private :slight_smile:

I notice that when I change the config to require login and approval, that an option to reject or accept the users in the existing database has appeared. I assume it sees these users as having created accounts but are waiting for approval.

If I reject these users will they be emailed some sort of awkward rejection letter?

Tried rejecting a user of my own, and it fails on account of the user having posted in the forum. The dialogue reads like rejecting a user deletes the user completely.

Should I be looking at deleting all the topics and then users or wiping the database instead?

(Geoff Bowers) #2

Appears as though the user is simply deleted (assuming they have no existing posts), with no correspondence.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

How many users are we talking here?

(Geoff Bowers) #4

Thereโ€™s only about 150 users โ€“ but i think it boils down to how many have actually posted as it looks like iโ€™ll need to delete posts for each one individually.