Google Groups is no longer meeting our needs for a variety of reasons, and I’m wondering how things might map over to using Discourse. We have around 300 google groups, but there really isn’t a reason that someone in one group shouldn’t have access to content posted in another group (other than based on who they are, we decided that it’s less relevant to them).
So, is it correct to think about moving over as:
- Create a Discourse forum that can only be accessed by the people
already in our Google Groups
- Instead of forming Groups in Discourse, create Categories, and then
set up users for notifications for the categories which map to the
existing google groups. (300 categories is probably
unnecessary…and we could probably pare it down to 50 or less in
Is that correct? Basically it’s a universe of users that would all have access to the forum. Anyone could view anything else, but currently they’re all automatically getting (email) notifications around certain topics, and we’d like to continue that seamlessly.
- What are groups for in Discourse? I haven’t been able to find a good
explanation…other than a sense that they’re good for making
private areas within an existing Discourse forum.
- Does the API support creating users? (Where is the definitive
documentation for this? I just keep getting directed to other, newer
- Does the API support assigning notification levels, by category, for