Copy/paste in latest Chrome on Android

(ljpp) #1

Chrome 58 has landed on Android devices this week, and it breaks functionality:

• Copy-paste action menu does not work.

• When you long-press on a word, the menu blinks on the device UI but it is inpossible to copy a piece of text.
    • Reproduced also in safe-mode, with everything disabled (logged in)
    • However, it seems to work using Incognito mode.
  • The Back button has disappeared from topic view. Not appearing at all.

• Again, it works when going Incognito.

@sam We are running 1.7 stable branch. It looks like that Meta does not suffer from this regression. Has this been issued in the 1.8 development branch?

Edit: I have user reports that the functionality again works when using Chrome-beta channel version or Opera (an older Blink version).

Copy/paste uploading buggy on Chrome?
(Dean Taylor) #2

I think @ljpp post should be moved to a new topic as it relates to Android specifically where this existing topic is for Desktop browsers as far as I can tell.

I can confirm that yesterday on my Android mobile I experienced this issue with copy selection issues.

It seems to be related to a Google keyboard / search assistant style functionality stepping in and popping up for the selection.

As soon as the selection is attempted then the Discourse quote button, then a Google logo flashes up and removes the quote button.

As yet I’ve been unable to repeat the experience I had which was annoying in that moment, I switched to the desktop machine to complete the post.

I will say however I am on a beta Android 7.1.2 Lineage OS on my phone which might have an impact on this experience.

Current Google Chrome version is 58.0.3029.83 which may have been different yesterday when the selection issues occurred.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Unlikely we will bother to fix if it is Chrome change with 1.7 side effects; update to 1.8 beta.

(Dean Taylor) #4

This happened for me on Meta yesterday.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #5

I just tested on 7.1.2 with Chrome 58 and it’s working fine. (I use the GBoard too)

(Dean Taylor) #6

I believe it is a case where some kind of prediction occurs based on the content on screen - so not easily reproduceable.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Cannot repro on my Nexus 5

(Dean Taylor) #8

I believe this happens when inside actual Google Chrome…

Being inside the “Add to Homescreen” version (no address bar etc) does not popup with the Google helper in the same way.

(cpradio) #9

Like this?

(Jeff Atwood) #10

What are you talking about? My screenshots are clearly of Google Chrome.

(Dean Taylor) #11

More like this…

Now the bar at the bottom with the “G” logo and the word “this”.

Note I’m still unable to reproduce my previous experience

(Dean Taylor) #12

From your screenshot it’s not possible to tell if you started opened the meta site from tapping “Chrome” or tapped “Discourse Meta” icon which might have been added as a shortcut to you Android home screen.

(Dean Taylor) #13

TLDR: I believe this issue can be closed.

I have completed extensive testing over multiple Discourse sites since I noted this issue on Meta…

I’ve been testing across 5 different Android devices as and when they have been available to me across the past days including the original device where I had the issue:

• I have been unable to reproduce it again here on Meta.
  • I have been able to reproduce on Discourse versions prior to Discourse 1.8.0.beta10

This issue does not occur where:

• the Discourse app is used
  • where the “Search engine” setting has been changed away from the default “Google”.
  • where the site is loaded / started from icon a added via Google Chromes “Add to homescreen” banner / menu option.

Whilst the issues on older Discourse versions are likely fixed by recent 1.8 beta updates as already mentioned, the issue here on Meta I can only put down to the following as I have been able to reproduce it again…

After testing I come to the conclusion that this issue occurring for me was an fluke / edge case…
… or may be down to Google’s way of testing newly developed functionality by testing it with a percentage of the Google Chrome user base before rolling out to everybody.

(Jeff Atwood) #14