Copying urls and sharing links

(Patrick Klug) #1

My number one issue with discourse is that I’ve to be really careful when copying urls.

Example:

I want to quickly post a link to the welcome topic to a friend. I right-click and use ‘copy link address’, like I would on any other website too.

When I paste it I get this:

http://meta.discourse.org/t/welcome-to-meta-discourse-org/1/23

Now, because of the way discourse remembers my last position, this doesn’t actually link to the start of the topic but instead to post 23. I have to remember to remove /23 from the url.

This makes quick sharing of links cumbersome. I know there is a separate share button but I just feel like this breaks the expectations of web users in some way.

I, at least, would prefer if discourse would not include the ‘you have read up to this post’ info in the url itself.

(sparr) #2

On most forums, when you visit a thread the first time you go to the top, but if you visit it again you get a link ending in ?page=y#postnumber=y which jumps to your last read post. If you copy THAT, people will end up in the wrong spot, which is undesirable but not unexpected after using many forums.

(Sam Saffron) #3

Personally I am fine to add a site setting here, trouble is I am not sure what it would do, there are 2 cases.

• The simple case, we replaceState while scrolling up/down topics, this is easily addressed by just omitting that functionality.
  • The complex case. Links take you to your last read post, as @sparr said, this is common in other forums. It would by unexpected to “lie” there and put an incorrect link, though technically feasible.

One simple change we can make to improve, is extend the share link dialog to optionally allow you to simply link to a topic.

Additionally you can always right click on the topic title and grap links that way.

I feel the pain but am not sure how this can be simply resolved

(Patrick Klug) #4

that’s a great workaround. I think the main confusion comes when I copy links from the main page, so when I’m not even in the topic. In this case I would argue that not having the state in the url, would be preferable.

(Sam Saffron) #5

You can actually work around that as well, both of the times in the Activity column are links. The one to the left links to the topic (so you can right click on that)

(Patrick Klug) #6

sorry, I don’t understand what you refer to. do you mean there are two links in the topic stream on the front page for every topic?

(Sam Saffron) #7

Sorry was on a mac and its annoying to do screenshots

(Patrick Klug) #8

I see :slight_smile: This will do. Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #9

If you are in the topic, right click the topic name in the header and select copy link.

If you are in the topic list, right click the first post date, then select copy link.

(Kevin P. Fleming) #10

Screenshots on a Mac are easy… Command-Shift-3 puts a full-screen capture on your desktop in PNG format.

(Sam Saffron) #11

I know … but annotating them requires a second program, and I keep forgetting the name of the program that does both :smile:

(Régis Hanol) #12

Skitch | Evernote is pretty awesome :wink:

(sparr) #13

every time someone tells me macs are “intuitive” I use the numerous screenshot hotkeys (are you sure you didn’t mean command-control-shift-4, or command-shift-3? those do different types of screenshots.)

(Jeff Atwood) #14

In addition we do have share and flag buttons at the bottom of the topic now.