Could not create a topic with a Japanese title

(Makoto Iguchi) #1

Thanks for answering Putting a long title gave me "Title is invalid; try to be a little more descriptive" error.

Actually, our original problem was that trying to create a topic with Japanese title (“Androidで、Pushが受信できないときに確認すべき6つのこと”) giving us an error “Title is invalid; try to be a little more descriptive”. (We could create the topic when we shortened the title, so we assumed that the title being too long gives us “title invalid…” error message, which led me to my previous question).

So this Japanese title (Androidで、Pushが受信できないときに確認すべき6つのこと) being rejected is also due to the entropy check?

(Robin Ward) #2

Yes for now you have to lower the entropy settings on languages that use fewer characters. In the admin panel, under Site Settings:

• title_min_entropy
  • body_min_entropy

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Hmm I thought @supermathie contributed code that counted high unicode chars as contributing greater entropy?

(Robin Ward) #4

You’re right. It turns out this one is failing because of the max_word_length is 30, and that title evaluates to be 32.

(Makoto Iguchi) #5

OK, increasing max_word_length seems to solve the issue. Thanks for your investigation!

I think a rule of thumb for Japanese users for now is to increase this number because Japanese does not use space (or any other delimiters) to break words. I believe the situation is the same for Chinese users too.

(Michael Brown) #6

This sounds like a good candidate for a locale-specific warning in the admin dashboard, @eviltrout.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Even better just disable that word length check for certain locales @eviltrout.

(Robin Ward) #8

I have no idea where to find a list of locales where that would be appropriate though!

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Same way we do everything else: trial and error. We could start with Japanese. People can contribute PRs if they know other languages that don’t use spaces.

(Michael Brown) #10

Also, let’s steal from other people’s work:

Japanese, Chinese and “The other modern languages which don’t use spaces between words are Thai, Lao, Khmer (Cambodian), and Burmese (Myanmar). In Vietnamese there is a related problem that spaces are used between all syllables except for foreign words.”

(Jeff Atwood) #11