Counter for attachments?

(Voxel Pirate) #1

One of the things I like is that Discourse adds an automatic counter behind links, which I include in my posts. Nice feature to track if and how many people have followed / clicked.

With the new feature to be able to upload files to the Discourse forum, I would love to have the same feature. Just an automatic counter added behind the uploaded file, which counts how many times the file was downloaded.

This feature is not in yet, right? Would be an idea to add it?

(RĂ©gis Hanol) #2

Uploads are no different than any other links. Discourse already tracks the number of clicks on all the attachments :wink:

(Voxel Pirate) #3

Great to hear @zogstrip. But this number is not yet displayed, right? Or is it an admin option which just needs to be activated? E.g. here the donwloads are without any counter. And to be sure I have explained it right… I do not mean links which are leading to a download on another page. I have the files in my mind which can be added as an attachment within Discourse.

P.S. Let me change the subject of this thread… “attachment” might fit better than “download”.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Well, you can certainly see attachment clicks on try.discourse.org

What it currently looks like (I did not click these, and even if I did, clicks from the post author are not counted…)

(RĂ©gis Hanol) #5

As @codinghorror said in his reply, yes this number is actually automatically displayed. There is no setting/option to be activated.

That’s because I fooled Discourse in that post. :blush: Attachments are not enabled here on meta so I had to fake it and add a link to an attachment on try (cf. the url of the file).

(Clay Heaton) #6

Was this turned off at some point? Attachment download counts aren’t shown on the instance of Discourse that I manage.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

@zogstrip can you confirm that attachment click counts are still functioning?

(RĂ©gis Hanol) #8

Thanks @clay for reporting that. They’ve been busted for a while :cry:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/37a9164fa0130cb18c0695cc9fafe9a96ee36ec9

Regression for 'Counter for Attachments'
(Jeff Atwood) #9