"Create Topic" button not always visible

(Gabriel Vincent) #1

I miss the “Create Topic” button in pages other than the main page. I think it should be visible anytime, anywhere. It’s just too work to go back to the main page in order to create a topic.

(Ted Lilley) #2

You can use “Reply as new Topic” and clear out the quote from the composition box, and it will make a new topic that isn’t linked to the old one.

(Gabriel Vincent) #3

Yes, but that’s somewhat a workaround. I’d like to have a dedicated button to this task.

(Sam Saffron) #4

What real world problems would this solve?

Are we really running out of topics on meta.discourse and need to eliminate every little bit of friction needed to post topics?

(Jack James) #5

Here’s how the current page looks:

Nowhere on the page is it possible to start a new topic, nor is there any indication of how to do so. I’d argue that it is one of the fundamental things you want to do. Maybe I’m reading something that makes me think about some other discussion completely unrelated to this one. I click search, discover that it’s something not already brought up, but where do I go from there?

Given that discourse is doing such a wonderful job of freeing me from tedious constraints of other forums, why exactly should I need to assume that I need to return to the front page to submit a post?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

You don’t have to return to the front page, just any topic list. The topic list is the place where topics get created.

Believe me, we had huge arguments about even putting the button where it is now.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Not exactly:

Reply as new Topic will indeed let you start a new topic. You can also delete any pre-filled text to make it a topic that is not connected to the current topic in any way.