Create Topics from a Listserv

(Isop Channel) #1

The community I am in has long been served by two listservs, going back nearly two decades. I am attempting to migrate them over to our new site for a more modern experience (and saying that this task is like herding cats does a disservice to cats).

Some users who have made the jump have wondered if it is possible to somehow collect the posts from the listserv as they come out on our new site as new topics. That way they would just be able to go to the new site to search all topics in our community. It also seems like it would help with the migration if everything could be seen in one spot.

I can see that users can post from email to start a new topic, but I was not able to see if we could simply collect the emails on our site sent from the listserv.

Apologies if this has been covered.

(Vijay Ivaturi) #2

@ISOP_CHANNEL, there is an existing discussion on this at Archive an old forum "in place" to start a new Discourse forum . We can definitely try some of the tools here to see if we can migrate the two listservs into your discourse forum. It would be great if one solution can be proposed by the experts here!

(Jeff Atwood) #3

We have fairly robust mailing list archive import tools, perhaps @eviltrout can point you to the exact location in our source tree.

(Sam Saffron) #4

I think you are asking for a listserv bridge here, I do not think I have seen it built. I would love to see one, it would be real cool. That said if you have some time and coding skills you could build this using the API or plugin

(Robin Ward) #5

Here’s the code I’ve used in the past to import mailbox formats to Discourse. You might find it helpful.

(Vijay Ivaturi) #6

@eviltrout - this is cool, we will give it a shot and let you know how it goes!