Creating a user through RESTful Users API

(Steve Finkelstein) #1

So I figured one way to get users shared across both my “main” app and discourse would be simply to write a hook that post-registration sends an API request over to discourse and creates that user in the discourse local database also. The most amount of information I’ve been able to dig up has been here:

http://meta.discourse.org/t/creating-an-discourse-user-through-api/8124/2

A lame attempt of mine to create a user from the command line was the following:

curl -i  -X POST --data "name=stevetest2&email=sf_test2@stevefink.net&password=ilovekittens321&username=billybob2" http://discourse.fantasyinsiders.com/users.json

I think I’m hitting fake_success_response when invoking that, though.

The tricky part it seems will be to figure out the challenge key being appended in addition to password_confirmation. password_confirmation when inspecting POST params from the browser isn’t a duplicate of ‘password’ – seems to be a hash of some sort in this case.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to restfully create & activate a user using the current API?

(Steve Finkelstein) #2

Just want to follow up that it seems like both the challenge and password_confirmation parameters are both static. Meaning, if I include the same value on each user creation invocation, I should be just fine with the solution above. Just wanted to post that here in case 1: it helps someone else or 2: I am wrong and someone with more insight into the code base can correct me.

Thanks again all, love working with this so far.

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #3

My co-founder wrote a blog post about this a few days ago. There is all kinds of obscurity there, very unclear why.

(Admir Hodzic) #4

May I please you to post all your curl call.
I am stacked to create new user for while

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #5
[michael@test ~]$ curl http://testforum.discoursehosting.com/users/hp.json
{"value":"02d1338e01eb289","challenge":"97fa24de8c897fcc54b013b2dc134fbc"}
  • reverse the challenge

• value will be the password_confirmation field

[michael@test ~]$ curl -i -X POST --data "password_confirmation=02d1338e01eb289&challenge=cbf431cd2b310b45ccf798c8ed42af79&name=miketest&email=devnull@discoursehosting.com&password=unicorns&username=miketest" http://testforum.discoursehosting.com/users.json

(Love Chopra ) #6

Hi @michaeld its not working its giving 403 forbidden error

(Blake Erickson) #7

It’s probably because you aren’t passing in your api_key and api_username

(Kane York) #8

You should probably be passing those in the POST parameters too.

(Arul Baskar) #9

how many users added with restful api.

error:
{“success”:false,“message”:" New registrations are not allowed from your IP address.",“errors”:{“email”:[],“ip_address”:[“New registrations are not allowed from your IP address.”]},“values”:{“name”:“dave”,“username”:“dave”,“email”:“dave@example.com”}}

(Gavin Wang) #10

the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. :frowning:

(Send It) #11
**NoMethodError (undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass) /var/www/discourse/app/controllers/users_controller.rb:292:in `create'**

/var/www/discourse/app/controllers/users_controller.rb:292:in `create'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_controller/metal/implicit_render.rb:4:in `send_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:198:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_controller/metal/rendering.rb:10:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:20:in `block in process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:117:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:555:in `block (2 levels) in compile'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:505:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:92:in `__run_callbacks__'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:778:in `_run_process_action_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:81:in `run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:19:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_controller/metal/rescue.rb:29:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:32:in `block in process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:164:in `block in instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/notifications/instrumenter.rb:20:in `instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:164:in `instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:30:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_controller/metal/params_wrapper.rb:250:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activerecord-4.2.7.1/lib/active_record/railties/controller_runtime.rb:18:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:137:in `process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionview-4.2.7.1/lib/action_view/rendering.rb:30:in `process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-0.10.1/lib/mini_profiler/profiling_methods.rb:76:in `block in profile_method'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_controller/metal.rb:196:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_controller/metal/rack_delegation.rb:13:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_controller/metal.rb:237:in `block in action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:74:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:43:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:43:in `block in serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:30:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:30:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:817:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-protection-1.5.3/lib/rack/protection/frame_options.rb:31:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/omniauth-1.3.1/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:186:in `call!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/omniauth-1.3.1/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:164:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/omniauth-1.3.1/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:186:in `call!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/omniauth-1.3.1/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:164:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/omniauth-1.3.1/lib/omniauth/builder.rb:63:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-1.6.4/lib/rack/conditionalget.rb:38:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-1.6.4/lib/rack/head.rb:13:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:129:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/params_parser.rb:27:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/flash.rb:260:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-1.6.4/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:225:in `context'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-1.6.4/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:220:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/cookies.rb:560:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activerecord-4.2.7.1/lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:36:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activerecord-4.2.7.1/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:653:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:29:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:88:in `__run_callbacks__'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:778:in `_run_call_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.7.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:81:in `run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:27:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/remote_ip.rb:78:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/debug_exceptions.rb:17:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/show_exceptions.rb:30:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/logster-1.2.5/lib/logster/middleware/reporter.rb:31:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/railties-4.2.7.1/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:38:in `call_app'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/railties-4.2.7.1/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:22:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:13:in `call_with_quiet_assets'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:26:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.7.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/request_id.rb:21:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-1.6.4/lib/rack/methodoverride.rb:22:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-1.6.4/lib/rack/runtime.rb:18:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-1.6.4/lib/rack/sendfile.rb:113:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-0.10.1/lib/mini_profiler/profiler.rb:171:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/message_bus-2.0.2/lib/message_bus/rack/middleware.rb:62:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/request_tracker.rb:73:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/railties-4.2.7.1/lib/rails/engine.rb:518:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/railties-4.2.7.1/lib/rails/application.rb:165:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/railties-4.2.7.1/lib/rails/railtie.rb:194:in `public_send'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/railties-4.2.7.1/lib/rails/railtie.rb:194:in `method_missing'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-1.6.4/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:66:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-1.6.4/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:50:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rack-1.6.4/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:50:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/unicorn-5.1.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:562:in `process_client'
/var/www/discourse/lib/scheduler/defer.rb:85:in `process_client'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/unicorn-5.1.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:658:in `worker_loop'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/unicorn-5.1.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:508:in `spawn_missing_workers'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/unicorn-5.1.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:132:in `start'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/unicorn-5.1.0/bin/unicorn:126:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/bin/unicorn:23:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/bin/unicorn:23:in `<main>'

(Blake Erickson) #12

Can you provide the actual POST request that was made that generated this error?

(Send It) #13

Resolved the problem by adding header : Content-type: ‘application/json’

(lokendra) #14

I am struggling with major issue!..
When creating a user with API then some user overriding administrator email( Developer account ) id and then new user become administrator automatically.

I checked developer account email has been replaced by new user email account.

Do you have any idea whats happening here ?

(Blake Erickson) #15

Could you share the code that you used to create the users via the API? Please hide any API keys.

(Kevin Colten) #16

@oblakeerickson
After a successful POST request, I’m just not getting anything. No user in the admin’s user list nor activation email.

(note: i changed the api_username/api_key for the screenshot)

(Blake Erickson) #17

hmmm…

I get a user_id in the success body:

{
  "success": true,
  "active": true,
  "message": "Your account is activated and ready to use.",
  "user_id": 2
}

Can you change your post request to “form-data” instead of “raw”?

I was going to say your password was too short but I get this message back with a short password "message": "Password is too short (minimum is 10 characters)".

(Kevin Colten) #18

That did it. Thanks!

If it’ll save anybody some time, here is a Node.js implementation

const fetch = require('node-fetch');
const FormData = require('form-data');

const data = {
  api_key: 'generated key',
  api_username: 'username',
  name: 'Test User',
  email: 'test@gmail.com',
  password: 'hello12345',
  username: 'testuser-0'
};

const formData = new FormData();
for (let key in data) {
  formData.append(key, data[key]);
}

fetch('<discourse-url>/users.json', {
  method: 'POST',
  body: formData
}).then(res => {
  res.json().then(json => {
    console.log(json);
  }).catch(err => {
    console.log(err);
  });
}).catch(err => {
  console.log(err);
});

(DenisD) #19

thanks for code posted. it works also for new topic creation. BUT non english posts get posted with wrong codepage.
Any advice how to enforce utf-8?

[code]
const fetch = require(‘node-fetch’);
const FormData = require(‘form-data’);
const fs = require(‘fs’);

const data = {
api_key: ‘yourkey’,
api_username: ‘yourusername’,
title: ‘texts’,
raw: “test raw”,
category: 1,
};

console.log(data.raw);

const formData = new FormData();
for (let key in data) {
formData.append(key, data[key]);
}

fetch(‘http://dsdomain/posts’, {
method: ‘POST’,
body: formData
}).then(res => {
res.json().then(json => {
console.log(json);
}).catch(err => {
console.log(err);
});
}).catch(err => {
console.log(err);
});
[/Code]

(lokendra) #20

i think issue in my code but its very strange if i am generating sso with blank user form id (in some case new user is not being created by my application ) and passing sso details in the sso URL in that case new user becoming site admin access.

I think this is a bug in discourse application as well, let me know your thought ?