CSS + other customizations - setting up a new Discourse forum

Hi All,

Am new to Discourse, not sure what is the proper protocol for posting in the Marketplace category and how do developers normally get paid here.

Anyway, I am looking for someone to help with CSS and other customization or plugin requests in setting up a new Discourse forum.

I am hosting at Discoursehosting server.

If interested, please send me a private message to define the scope and details of the work and a cost estimate.

I am new to this, it is possible some of my requests are already available and I simply don’t know where to go to enter the settings.

Thanks

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #2

@needhelp, you are going to need to be far more specific in your request if you want people to offer their help. To start with, what do you wish to customize visually? Screenshots and/or UI mockups would be a good idea.

@jomaxro sorry about that. Here’s my wish list:

1. About and FAQ in hamburger menu - is there a way to remove ABOUT and FAQ from the hamburger menu? I have no use for these , would like to keep everything as simple and basic as possible.

I read some older posts and see other people also requested an option to remove these, but I believe Discourse developer said no plans to offer the option to remove these back then, not sure if things have changed now or if there is another way to remove these.

1. Gallery - would like a gallery plugin that allows users to upload multiple images at a time as opposed to what we have now which only allows for one image per upload. If I have 10 images then I will need to click the upload button 10 times. Would like to be able to select multiple images and click upload once.

2. Gallery - would like users to be able to click on an image in the post and a lightbox will pop up that allows users to arrow left and right to view the rest of the photos in the post. I read some posts that said someone had created a plugin that does that, however it was not supported or not working properly, something like that. Would like a stable version with support.

3. Set up email configurations for my forum, for example : incoming emails, the ability for users to “reply by email” , start a topic by email as well as the option to allow staged users etc.

4. Is there a way to allow Admin to override a user’s email address or even password so that Admin can handle password or email reset for users and users will not have to do that themselves?

5. CSS customization for header and nav menu at the top - I have set up something very basic already but need help with some final touch-ups here and there. For example, Is there a way to center the logo? Right now the default is left aligned, I see another poster asking about the exact same thing but there was no reply. Wonder if this can be done. Also, what is the optimal size for the logo image? Mine appears extremely small,

6. Users, Views, Activity column in home page - am hoping to make home page as uncluttered as possible, would like the option to hide Users, Views and Activity colimns in home page.

Would like to know which of the above is possible and an estimate for the cost so that I can prioritize which ones I can afford now. A piecemeal quote is fine.

Thanks

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

I’d highly recommend keeping them - as they contain useful information. However, to remove simply add the following CSS customizations:

.about-link {
    display : none !important;
}
.faq-link {
    display : none !important;
}
```[quote="needhelp, post:3, topic:52213"]
2)  Gallery  - would like a gallery plugin that allows users to upload multiple images at a time as opposed to what we have now which only allows for one image per upload.   If I have 10 images then I will need to click the upload button 10 times.  Would like to be able to select multiple images and click upload once.
[/quote]

This is already possible.  Just hold <kbd>Ctrl</kbd> when selecting files in the upload dialog.  Alternatively, drag and drop the files into the editor.

[quote="needhelp, post:3, topic:52213"]
3) Gallery - would like users to be able to click on an image in the post and a lightbox will pop up that allows users to arrow left and right to view the rest of the photos in the post.   I read some posts that said someone had created a plugin that does that, however it was not supported or not working properly, something like that.  Would like a stable version with support.
[/quote]

I'd join the discussion [here](https://meta.discourse.org/t/any-working-image-gallery-plugin/52160?u=jomaxro).  There are many users looking for something like this.

[quote="needhelp, post:3, topic:52213"]
5) Is there a way to allow Admin to override a user's email address or even password so that Admin can handle password or email reset for users and users will not have to do that themselves?
[/quote]

Email, yes.  You can edit a user's email by navigating to their profile and entering preferences.  Password, no.

The rest you'll need to wait for someone else to provide a quote.

@jomaxro THANKS Joshua, very helpful, much appreciated!!!

(Daniela) #6

Try to add those lines in your CSS

.topic-list .posters {
    display: none;
}
.topic-list .views {
    display: none;
}
.topic-list .activity {
    display:none;
}

@Trash THANK YOU so much, really appreciate it !!

(ljpp) #8

Take a look at this one:

@ljpp WOW brilliant !! looks very clean. I do have a question, will post my question in the other post where the new design is being discussed.

THANKS for sharing !!

Hi All, I followed the script below in order to hide ABOUT and FAQ from the hamburger menu, it is working great on desktop view, but somehow this code has no effect on mobile phone, I tried on both Android and Iphone and I can still ABOUT and FAQ still appearing in hamburger menu

Do I need to do something extra in order to hide ABOUT and FAQ in mobile view? Thanks

(Mittineague) #11

Those selectors are the same for both desktop and mobile view.

My guess is you added the CSS to Admin -> Customize for desktop but missed adding it to mobile (look for the icon to toggle)

@Mittineague THANKS! yes, I didn’t know I have to hit the mobile icon, all good now , thanks !

(system) #13

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.