Ctrl + z undo and redo will ignore pasting

(Nowindlee) #1

When I was editing a post about “keyshorts”, I tried to add this missing <kbd> tags to key names in the post, using ctrl+v.

But when clicked the undo button, all of them disappeared, and it does nothing to click redo button :angry:

I have to copy the content to an external editor, then copy it back after editing.

Pressing shift+enter in quoted text isn't undoable
Undo (Ctrl/Cmd+Z) doesn't work for Markdown
(Kane York) #2

I believe this is still broken - sometimes undo removes WAY too much content.

Also, on Linux, where Ctrl-Shift-Z is redo, I end up with weird sequences like this:

1. Ctrl-Z (deletes some recently typed text)
  2. Ctrl-Shift-Z (deletes the rest of the sentence. sometimes the rest of the paragraph)
  3. Ctrl-Shift-Z (restores everything undone by BOTH of those)

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I am thinking maybe we should remove the undo/redo buttons from the editor. They really aren’t very useful, and people who understand what they mean and do, will be able to use their OS native undo/redo keys anyway – which have their own OS native peculiarities.

(Sam Saffron) #4

I agree, pointless confusing buttons, will remove tomorrow.

(Sam Saffron) #5

I just tested this and am quite against removing the functionality.

Undo in textareas built-in undo is horrible. You basically get 2 states.

CTRLz will completely clear your textarea, throwing away all your work in progress.

CTRLSHIFTz will fill it back up. (but other combos like CTRL R will refresh the page etc)

You end up having a 2 state undo, it is far from suitable for content authoring.

If we need to hijack more buttons from the OS so be it, but I don’t want to remove this functionality.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Did you test in multiple browsers? I remember it being a little more subtle than this, but I might be misremembering.

(Undo might be of more value in touch devices without keyboard… But then again we save drafts on the server every 40 secs or so, those could be versioned, but that is even more work…)

(Sam Saffron) #7

All custom composer undo/redo was pulled, closing this in the next few days. Unless it is still an issue.

(Sam Saffron) #8

Flag to reopen if still an issue.