Custom font awesome icons for topics

(Sam Saffron) #1

I have been cleaning up lots of old topics and am really wishing for custom lock icons, or maybe a more generic “custom icon” feature.

I would like all our “closed / fixed / implemented” stuff to show up with a “tick” and all our “closed / will not fix / will not implement” show up with a “x”

(Michael Downey) #2

Interesting idea, but seems less like discussion tools/support and more like issue tracker tools.

(katherine) #3

I like this idea a lot. And it does seem like a more generic “custom icon” feature would be valuable to dicussion tools/support. A way to enhance organization in a visual way for ease of use. And I’m sure people could come up with other really creative ways of using that feature.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

Sounds great, but isn’t this more about creating a new “issue” topic archetype, wherein enabling custom font awesome icons is a subset of that?

Seems @shivermetimbers was doing something similar for “Mark as correct”. Maybe a working example came out of that.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #5

This reminds me of my request for an Attachment icon

so I’m pinging it here for consideration at the same time. :please:

(Shiv Kumar) #6

Apologies for the delay here. I think we’re doing something like this on our forum, but we had to override a handlebar template in order to achieve the functionality we needed.

We have a plugin that allows a forum moderator to claim a topic. If you claim a topic, that topic is your responsibility from a support standpoint. It’s a pretty simple plugin that places a button at the bottom of every topic that stores the user’s username in the topic’s meta_data whenever a user clicks the button. You can also re-click on the button to un-claim the topic.

Here’s what the button looks like when a topic is unclaimed:

And here’s what it looks like when a topic is claimed:

The relevant part to this discussion comes on the category page, where we display a pink paw icon next to a topic if it’s already been claimed by a moderator. This aids our support team as they no longer need to click into a topic to see if someone else is already answering the customer’s question. Again, we had to override topic_list_item.js.handlebars in order to achieve this functionality. Here’s what that looks like:

We haven’t made this plugin public (yet), but would be happy to if others are interested in checking out the functionality. @mverdi built most of this plugin’s functionality.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #7

Hi again @shivermetimbers

Is this the plugin you mentioned?

I’m jonesing for an Attachment icon, even an Image icon, for our topics.

Is that plugin something we could use for that purpose?

(Mittineague) #8

You don’t see something like this?

(Shiv Kumar) #9

@watchmanmonitor that’s actually not the right plugin. @mverdi do you want to publish this plugin (“Claim this Topic”) since you did most of the work on it? People really want to see it!

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #10

Thanks for the reply… the goal here is to have that icon show in the topic’s title, visible from the list view.