Layouts Plugin

Check the Layouts settings in Admin. Make sure the widgets are still enabled and have at least one context.

I have it enabled. I have Topic list as context. I don’t see the sidebar now for any of my categories.

FYI you don’t need to specify Categories if you want it in every one. Just leave it blank.

Is it possible to have this work with TLP and not lose a column in TLP? So keep the same container width for the thumbnails and place layouts outside of this? I’m guessing not, just curious!

If you use the TC, it will be responsive. You should be able to override the CSS to alter the column number thresholds if you need to.

I know. These are not all the categories but specific ones.

1 Like

Do you have a javascript error in the console?

No errors in my console or rebuild.

I figured out what it was. It’s this setting:

I increased the value beyond 1000 and then the sidebar disappeared. I thought that this meant less than this number would apply responsive layout.

It works now. However, it still shows the sidebar on the home page which I don’t want. I just want it to show in the categories I specified not the home page.

1 Like

Here’s an idea. I think my use case is solved if I simply click on the “minus” to minimize the sidebar in the home page. Can I just set the default to be minimized (collapsed) always? This way the user will click on the “plus” when they need to.

The last commit has fixed the above issue! The layouts sidebar will no longer appear in the home page if it is not designed to do so.

2 Likes

I followed the instructions for installing the Custom Layouts Plugin and made the mistake of trying to install the profile and category list widgets as plugins, by adding them to the app.yml file. When I installed these as theme components instead and removed those two lines from the app.yml file, the side panel appeared as intended.

Then I log out, and when I try to log in again, the page comes up blank! If I enter the URL to any of the posts, I come to the same blank login page. I rebuilt the app, but nothing changed.

It’s just a test installation, so I can reinstall everything, but is there a way I can restore it?

Hey :slight_smile:

This is more of a question for me rather than Discourse support (you can move this to post to Custom Layouts Plugin). I’ll try and reproduce the issue tomorrow, but can you give me a few more details:

• What version of Discourse and the plugin are you on? (send me a screenshot of /admin/upgrade)
  • What is your widget configuration? (send me a screenshot of /admin/layouts/widgets)

Cheers,

Angus

1 Like

Hi @angus
We’ve been using your plugin for a couple of years now on a private forum to display custom HTML in the sidebar. Yesterday it disappeared (maybe because of an update of discourse?).
I managed to get the spacing back by setting the responsive width to zero, and for some reason the widget here was disabled:

I’ve enabled it now. I want it to show on every page, I think those settings are right?

The problem is that although the sidebar takes up space, my HTML content doesn’t show.
The minimize button does show

Any ideas?

Respect :fist:

Ok, I’ve updated the existing layouts-custom-html plugin (which you’re currently using) to work with the latest Discourse and version of this Plugin (commit) However, the plugin version of the widget is now deprecated.

I’ve created a new theme component version of the layouts custom html widget, and added a knowledge base article about it here (where you’ll find a link to the new component version of the plugin):

I would recommend you switch over to the new theme component version at some point soon as the plugin version of this widget may fall behind again.

3 Likes

You’re awesome, thank you for the super quick fix :heart:

This is working again, and I’ll move over to the new component :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there! I want to create a widget that will add two responsive banners (left and right from the main content).

As a first step I am trying to use the html produced, but I am not seeing my widget’s html being rendered.

My widget is: https://github.com/teakap/banner-theme-component

I have successfully load it as a theme component , added it at layout settings and enabled it.

Could someone help me understand what I am missing ?

I am having the same problem.

Check this reply I got Customizing main layout - support - Discourse Meta

@akapetzoglou Sorry for the delayed response!

Firstly, please take a squiz at the documentation on the widget settings here:

I suspect you may not want “all categories” in the categories setting. If you want the sidebar to appear in all categories, leave that setting blank. As mentioned in the docs, “all categories” relates to the “top level” topic lists. I might change the name of that actually as it’s confusing a number of people.

I suspect you also may not want all the groups you added. Perhaps you only want the widget to appear for logged in users? (i.e. not to guests). I should also add an explicit setting for that actually.

I tested your widget myself on try.thepavilion.io and it’s working fine, e.g.

@Muhammed_EKÄ°CÄ° Could you explain your problem a bit more?

Generally, if you’re developing widgets, it’s probably best if you ask me questions about it over on thepavilion.io so we don’t clutter up this topic, which is mostly for site administration support. Ping me here re widget development:

1 Like

Is this widget still available? I don’t see them in the widget selection box any more. If its not available any more, in order to get it back should I just install an older branch of the layout/ location plugins, e.g. 0.2?