Customization typos make you unable to access it

(Wout Mertens) #1

I was updating my site customization via the web interface and I had a typo.

This results in the entire page being invisible. I had to go in via the browser dev tools and change the “#main” section element to be display:block.

Anything that can be done for people not swift with developer tools?

(Sam Saffron) #2

I agree we need more polish there, my intention was always that you would only work in preview mode and when absolutely sure enable the customisation.

In preview mode to kill the preview you simply close your browser.

(Wout Mertens) #3

Makes sense, perhaps a warning on saving would not go amiss.

(Kris) #4

Would it be possible for the editor to check for errors and throw a message before the edited customization is saved/activated? That’d be ideal.

On a more basic level it’d be nice if that error page could at least spit out a ?preview-style= link.

(Kris) #5

If you add ?preview-style= to the end of the URL (example: http://meta.discourse.org?preview-style=) it’ll turn off that customization without deleting anything and you can get back in there.

(Wout Mertens) #6

Thanks! I find that harder to remember than turning on the display in dev tools though :wink:

(Sam Saffron) #7

This issue is now pretty much fixed.

We bypass site customisations unconditionally in the admin interface, if you mess stuff up you can always fix it up there.

(Sam Saffron) #8

(Kane York) #9

Additionally, any CSS errors will show up as a footer:after { content: "..."; } at the bottom of the page.