Daily/Weekly email digest for only one category?

(Lainie De Coursy) #1

I’m confused by the settings for email digests as separate from the Watching/Tracking options.

I have community members that only want to receive an email digest of one category, not our entire Discourse instance.

Is there an easy way to explain how to do this, or to set it up on the backend?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

There is no way to do this at the current time. The email digest will respect muted categories, I am pretty sure, so have people mute categories they do not care for.

(Arpit Jalan) #3

IMHO Watching/Tracking categories/topics can be compared to “mailing lists” not “email digests”.

Having said that the only way to exclude particular categories from email digests is to mute them (as @codinghorror suggested), but keep in mind that muting a category will disable all kinds of notifications of all the topics in that particular category.

(eriko) #4

So far I have tested with parent categories and the muting is not respected. I am now testing with subcategories.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

From which section of the email digest? Popular Posts, or Popular Topics?

(eriko) #6

I am off site so I may get the words wrong but I am referring to the list of topics at the start of the digest.

(eriko) #7

Ok I am back with two pieces of information.

1. I was referring to the “Popular Posts” section
  2. By muting the subcategories I was able to get the effect I was after by muting the parent category.

(edit spelling)