Default system pinned message is not a global pin by default

(Erwin NH) #1

I’ve been searching meta for information on how to pin a global topic, found that it should not have a category and then it will stick to the top like on Latest page here at Meta, but when I went to my instance I had no ‘no category’ option at topic creation. I checked /admin -> post -> and the option for allowing users to post uncategorized topics. Is it possible that I destroyed that option somehow?

(Lee Dohm) #2

There isn’t an uncategorized category?

(Erwin NH) #3

No, but even if I renamed it, shouldn’t the effect of causing something in it to have global pin on the Latest page have applied?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

This was changed a while ago: you can specify global or category pin explicitly now when you pin. Putting a pinned topic in uncategorized just gives it more room to have a description in the topic list.

(Erwin NH) #5

Interesting, I think the default pinned topic created by the system is not a global pin. I unpinned it and repinned it as global and it appears to work. Thanks, issue solved.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I believe this was fixed but @neil can you verify that on a new install the welcome topic is indeed a global pin?

(Neil Lalonde) #7

The default welcome topic on a new site is uncategorized, so it appears at the top of the Latest topic list.

@ErwinNH You couldn’t have deleted the “allow uncategorized topics” site setting, unless you edited the site_settings.yml file. Even if that setting is unchecked, admins can still create uncategorized topics and pin them.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

That’s not where the setting goes now though, it is here:

The only effect being uncategorized will have, is to make the description take two columns in the topic list.

Actually I can confirm on new installs – the welcome topic does NOT show up as pinned globally, see:

Screenshot from a recent non-profit install. That’s kind of a major bug, can you address it first thing Monday @neil?

(Neil Lalonde) #9

Oh, I see what you mean. Sure, will look at it on Monday.

EDIT: Fixed!

(Neil Lalonde) #10

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.