Definitive and Explicit Guide to Plugin Development is Needed

I have been scouring the internet for two days trying to find a complete guide to plugin development. What I’ve found are tidbits here and there, each describing a granule of the process from a fish eye view.

There are a few posts in the meta forum that have a bunch of information about writing a plugin itself, but make assumptions regarding infrastructure and installation, both in development and production. @sam’s post showcasing the new plugin interface, for example, is very nice for the plugin.rb file itself, but leaves out everything else.

There are many, many posts asking for something similar to this. The response appears to be to drill down to exactly what the poster is asking for and provide a solution for that specific case.

There needs to be, as the title states, a definitive and complete guide to plugin development and installation in both dev and production environments. I’m talking end-to-end: directory structure, conventions, dev workflow.

(Mittineague) #2

I’ve asked about this before

I was hoping to put together my take on things for review, but I’ve been sidetracked by struggling with problems introduced by the recent Ember upgrade. The Handlebars to HTMLBars “helpers” in particular at the moment.

(Erick Guan) #3

We the community are building documentation site for Discourse. We’ll include this important topics in the doc site.