Deleting a category?

(Kevin Balla) #1

I’ve read a couple posts so far on deleting a category but it looks like things have changed over the past 6 months

I’m trying to do one of two things:

1. Delete a category so I can recreate it to have the subtitle show up
  2. Somehow have the subtitle show up again for the category. It doesn’t show up for “General discussion” but does for all my other categories

(Jeff Atwood) #2

To delete a category, make sure all topics in that category are deleted first.

To edit a category description, visit the category, click the “edit” button at upper right, then click the “edit description” button on the dialog.

(Kevin Balla) #3

Thanks for the quick response @codinghorror . In response to your questions:

• I’ve removed all topics from the category but don’t see a way to delete the category
  • Not able to edit the category description. On all other categories I can edit it no problem, but for this particular category this is what I see:

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Are you on the latest version of Discourse? If not I would update to master.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #5

Did you rename “uncategorized” to “General discussion”? Because I don’t think you can delete that…

(Kevin Balla) #6

@codinghorror ya I do have the latest version installed

@BhaelOchon that’s an interesting point and a real possibility. I set these up a few weeks ago so am not sure if I changed “uncategorized” to “General discussion” but it’s likely. Is there any way I can revert back to the way it originally was ?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #7

Unsure, as I don’t admin a site myself. Your best bet is searching this forum for related topics.

(Karthik) #8

Hey Jeff,

I’m trying to delete the category description but it takes me to what looks like a post (when trying to edit the category description) and I can’t delete the content in there. Tried archiving and closing the topic but the category description still shows.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

It is not possible to delete the “about” category description topic; it’s required for the category description.