Deprecated Feature Announcements

(Jeff Talbot) #1

With the recent announcement about deprecating Amazon S3 for attachments (which was reversed), a global message was posted to all users of Discourse. This created confusion for the users of our forum, and they even started posting questions about what it meant on the forum.

Would it be possible to adopt a policy of only announcing these types of deprecation notices to those in a position to understand the message and make a change?

Jeff

(Jakob Borg) #2

Isn’t meta a forum for mostly admins and developers of Discourse? Or do you mean Discourse somehow posted a message on your forum…? That’d be … :confused:

(Jeff Talbot) #3

Yes, something was posted on our forum to all our users.

(Jakob Borg) #4

By someone not on your forum…?

(Stephen) #5

Discourse instances aren’t associated, I’m really not sure how this could happen.

(Andy Balholm) #6

It wasn’t a regular post. I saw it on discourse.ubuntu.com; it was a banner across the top of the page saying that S3 storage was deprecated. Apparently it showed up on all Discourse forums that used S3 storage.

(Jakob Borg) #7

Oh. That’s definitely an interesting take on UX. :slight_smile:

(Jeff Talbot) #8

Right. It was a system message posted to all users. I am hoping for someone from the Discourse team to chime in on whether a different approach can be taken next time.

(Jakob Borg) #9

Having an update (I assume this came with a beta) suddenly post a message to all users with some technical detail about forum maintenance would probably make me switch to mailman, or vBulletin or something. I can only hope there’s some kind of misunderstanding involved here.

(Jakob Borg) #10

Ah, Indeed.

@zogstrip What’s the thinking here pushing this warning globally, as opposed to somewhere in the admin panel where it will actually reach the people who can do something about it? Are we to expect random global notices in the future for other internal things, with capital letter WARNING at the top of our forum?

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #11

Yes, this has caused a lot of confusion for many people. This should have been a regular warning in the admin panel under “Some problems have been found with your installation of Discourse”. Or even better: an update should have been prevented if S3 was still enabled.

There really was no point in confusing all users of every Discourse forum with this message.

(RĂ©gis Hanol) #12

I agree it was a poor judgement on my part. I should have only displayed that warning to staff members. Won’t happen again. Thanks for the feedback :heart:

(Jeff Atwood) #13