Did you reply wrong topic in discourse forum?

(Nowindlee) #1

I found myself (and some friends) often replying wrong topics. Sometimes I thought I was replying a topic, but later realized I was replying a wrong topic.

I’m not sure where is wrong, but that did happen several times.

(Ides) #2

When you are typing a reply it will say where you are replying to above the editor box where you type your comment at. I believe this to be working as intended.

(TheOnly92) #3

Happens when you leave the reply box open while navigating to another topic.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

As others have pointed out, pay attention to the area above the composer that tells you what you are replying to, and where.

One thing we have talked about doing and @sam should probably just go ahead and implement, given how often it comes up…

…if you post a reply while on a different topic than the one the composer is targeted to, we should pop up a warning reminding you that

Your reply will be posted to a different topic than the one you are currently on. Is that what you want?

which seems pretty harmless, though it might potentially get annoying for power users who know what they’re doing and have the composer active while browsing different topics.

Note that we also teleport you to the topic you actually reply to once you post the reply, so there’s no chance for confusion once you have replied.

(Sam Saffron) #5

Still sorting out copy, but this should resolve the issue:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

How does that work? If I am replying to post #5 in topic A and click the “reply here” option, does that not require downgrading the reply to a topic level reply rather than a reply to a specific post?

(Sam Saffron) #7

Yes, “reply here” requires an automatic downgrade, nothing else we can do.

But… what we saw is that people complained that they were replying to the wrong topics, I assume that in the majority of those cases a “reply here” would have sufficed.

(Brian Gillespie) #8

This dialog has been useful on our forum, but it’s still confusing some people. I’m wondering if a slight rework could help clear up some of the confusion:

Discussions about our confusion are here:

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I like your idea of putting the actual topic title in the dialog, but it might make the buttons REALLY large. How about if the title of the topic is placed next to the button (or under the button), in a different, smaller font?

(Brian Gillespie) #10

Putting the text near the buttons might work, too. I’m open to that idea.

(Brian Gillespie) #11

Here’s another option. I like the idea of having a color differentiation between the two buttons, too - to make it easier to develop a habit of clicking the “right” one.

Note how I truncated the “long” topic in the second button - I think that is still sufficient for choosing the correct button.

(Neil Lalonde) #12

I just deployed this change. I’m using the “Reply Here” button to post this reply!

(Jeff Atwood) #13

Yep, here’s an actual example (I included some minor style changes @neil for tomorrow)

(Jeff Atwood) #14