Difficulty changing moderators' email addresses

(Mirko) #1

I did read all posts in regards to this subject but didn’t find any solution.
I migrated data form other forum software.
Users need to reset passwords and that is ok.

However some users do not have valid email address so if they want to reset password they cannot.
I tried to change email address they have to new one they gave me but it is impossible.

Regardless which method I use to change the email after changing it I get a message:

We’ve sent an email to that address. Please follow the confirmation instructions.

But discourse did not sent the email to “that address” but to the old one so user first has to confirm that his old email is his, after that he again needs to confirm that his new email is his.

It means if the user doesn’t have access to his old email address he never can have email changed neither the administrator can change it.

(cpradio) #2

If I recall correctly, I think you can trick the system if you deactivate the user and then activate them again after changing their email address.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Note that staff users (staff means moderator or admin) require validation of both new and old email addresses.

Regular users do not. They only require validation of the single new email address.

So I’m not sure what you’re talking about here, exactly. What you said is incorrect. The email confirmation only goes to the new email address unless you are talking about a staff user who is an admin or moderator.

(Mirko) #4

Yes that was the problem. The user was a moderator.

Thanks

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

Turn off moderation. Change the address. Turn on moderation.