Digest E-Mail Broadcast?

(Brad Laue) #1

We’re using Discourse as an internal discussion forum/knowledge pool and would like weekly digest sent to an all@ alias.

My first thought was to make a modification to enqueue_digest_emails.rb but this could lead to trouble down the road I think. I also tried cheating by creating a user whose e-mail address was aliased to all@ but that user never receives digests because it’s non-participatory.

Is this a use case anyone else has explored when using Discourse as an internal company forum?

Send Digest to a particular e-mail address
(John Oeffinger) #2

This use case is one we would be interested in as well. We run several special interest groups using long email chains now. I would like to convert us to using the digest to keep everyone informed and more importantly, pulling back into Discourse so they see the other topics and become more engaged.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

This isn’t correct. A user who signs up and does nothing will still get email digests delivered, as long as there is activity on the Discourse instance. You should try this approach first.

(Brad Laue) #4

I stand corrected - not sure where I picked up that assumption.

One other question - I created a local user by temporarily enabling local registration. Once this was done and the user’s e-mail and digest settings were set, I then disabled local user logins, leaving only Google ones tied to our Google Apps domain. Would this have disabled that user? I do see it listed in the list of users still, but I don’t know if things have changed behind the scenes.

EDIT: I doubt this is the case either - I’m going to need 24h to find out whether I’m right though…

(John Oeffinger) #5

[quote=“codinghorror, post:3, topic:21548”]
A user who signs up and does nothing will still get email digests delivered, as long as there is activity on the Discourse instance.
[/quote] Thanks, this helps me solve two issues. First, someone like a board member who purely wants to be able to stay in the information loop. Our objective will be to convert this person to an active participant over time. Second, someone on one of our chain email lists or ListServs who like the board member wants to be in the information loop. Our objective will be to find those discussion items that tweak their interest and bring them into the conversation as well.

(Kane York) #6

Nope, the account will still be active and usable, they just won’t be able to sign in (unless there is a Google account (or other auth provider) linked to the email address you used).