Digest formatting and customization

The digest is looking pretty good. Can someone direct me to how the threads that are selected for the expanded presentation on the top of the digest are selected? Is there a way that moderators can pick them or otherwise be chosen (such as a paid option?).

Also on the bottom “Other New Topics”, I think it would be helpful if they were sorted by category, with an optional header (and possibly footer) for each category. This is also a good place where banner ads can be inserted.

I trust the formatting is easily customized via templates or such, right?

I’d like it a section for, “not-new thread that had activity” were also available to be included in the digest.

Thanks,
Barry
(Meta lurker, anxiously waiting for Discourse 1.2 ) :smile:

P.S. although I managed to insert a smile above, I’m not seeing a way to insert smilies.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

We had some improvements in digests since this was written.

See the /top page for the way we think topics will be selected here in the future.

Thank for the reply, @codinghorror, however you lost me with “See the /top page”. I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t know what that means and don’t see what it might reference.

The digest also needs to be mobile friendly. I haven’t checked it yet and I presume you handled it.

I think the digest is really, really important. It should be very configurable with lots of options, including the option of sending daily or weekly (user selected), and generating a custom one for each user based on their subscriptions.

Thanks!
B

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Sorry, top page is here: Discourse Meta – so imagine one of those ranges (year, quarter, month, week, day) at the bottom of the digest email.

TL;DR the top page was the answer to “I am a new user, I have never been here ever, what are the most important topics for me to look at?”