Digest not being sent to particular member

(James Milligan) #1

Hi folks,

I have a particular member that isn’t receiving the digest despite being registered for the daily version. He hasn’t visited the forum for over a day, he receives other email notifications fine, and other members receive the digest just fine.

I’ve tried triggering the job that sends out the digest, which didn’t send anything out to him.

Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting or to understand why he isn’t having one sent out? Mandrill doesn’t show any digests sent to him at all, but it does show digests sent to other members, including a member that was “last seen” more recently.

Does it take into account whether the member has posted to the forum and reset the “not seen for [x]” timer? The other member who was “last seen” more recently hasn’t posted for 4 days, whether this other member has within the last 24hrs.

Discourse is not sending digests
(James Milligan) #2

After asking the user to refrain from posting or visiting the site for well over 24 hours, I’m 90% sure this is related to the fact that they are on “mailing list” mode and receiving all posts individually. All other users who receive the digest aren’t on mailing list mode, and I can’t see any other reason why they wouldn’t get it.

This seems to contradict what @codinghorror says in this topic:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/are-topics-which-are-emailed-automatically-excluded-from-digest-emails/14023?source_topic_id=22414 https://meta.discourse.org/t/are-topics-which-are-emailed-automatically-excluded-from-digest-emails/14023/2?source_topic_id=22414

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Maybe that is the case, then?

(James Milligan) #4

It would seem that way… Can we recategorise this as a bug then?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

I am not sure someone who gets an email for every single post needs a digest, though? What function would it serve?

(James Milligan) #6

I can’t say I would use that feature, but it’s been mentioned/requested by people on our forum.

I see two options available:

• If this is deemed a bug, resolve by sending the digest as per the user’s preference. I guess it’s linked to what the user has already been notified about, in which case this could be fixed by ignoring it.
  • Alternatively, prevent the conflict by merging the two options - make it so the user has a digest or is on mailing list mode. I guess a dropdown would be the best solution, options [‘none’, ‘every post’, ‘daily digest’, ‘weekly digest’]?