Disable local backup and enable just s3 online backup?

s3

Is there a way to disable local backup and enable just Amazon S3 online backup?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

You need the local backup file to copy it to s3, so this does not make any sense. You can set local retention to only 1 backup though, in site settings.

Is it fine to delete the files located here
/var/discourse/shared/standalone/backups/default

There are 7 .tar files there
I’m guessing these are backup files.
In admin panel, it shows, 0 backups.
So, I’m guessing these weren’t deleted by Discourse when I tried the delete backup option in admin panel.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Probably fine to remove.

Thanks.

Regarding my original question “can we disable local backup and enable just S3 backup”

Okay, so I understand that, the local copy is actually required before it is uploaded to S3 - that makes sense.
How about adding a “feature” to delete the local copy once the backup has been uploaded to S3?

I think this is going to be an excellent “Feature” if implemented.

Reason - I’m sure there is going to be more folks (like me ) who always has an eye on the “SSD free space left in the server”. And when anyways, stuffs are being uploaded to S3, I do not think its really of any use wasting our precious SSD storage space. And once the site grows bigger, its going to consume “more SSD storage space” (even if we ask it to retain just 1 days backup)

So, if we implement this feature as an optional setting - I think its going to be awesome.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

No plans to. Set retained local backups to one in site settings.

(Nathaniel Suchy) #7

Just buy more SSD storage - easy peasy :slight_smile: