Disabling smileys/emoji?

(Franz) #1

I tried to disable emoji for the Discourse instance I’m administrating (Settings -> Plugins -> unchecked “Enable the emoji plugin”). However emoji remain. Editing and saving an existing post does not remove the emoji.

Do I need to rebake the posts to make them disappear?

Would it make sense to let users choose whether they want to see traditional smileys or emoji?

(Tomo Vukasović) #2

My users seem to be scared of emoji :smile:

Good number of users say that emoji simple smile is smiling too much and other one is freaked out.

(Franz) #3

I just think they are pretty bad taste, and would rather live without them. In my opinion, they also fail to convey the original “emotion” that old school smileys do.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

:frowning:     

(Jeff Atwood) #5

I eventually want to get to a selector like this:

And adding custom emoji too, if you want :awesome: to be a particular image, you should be able to do that.

(Tomo Vukasović) #6

Custom smiles can be disproportional, but it is excellent idea.

(Franz) #7

Hi Jeff, I like your suggestion. Would it be a user setting, a forum one, or both? Ideally I think it should be both (a forum-wide default value, and letting users override it if they want to).

Regarding my original question, shouldn’t emoji icons disappear completely if I disable the emoji plugin?

(Michael Downey) #8

Yeah, the new emoji used are rather extreme. The :-) :slight_smile: and :-D :smiley: are way too similar in happiness … I really dislike using them now. :cry:

(Régis Hanol) #9

Emoji support has been improved a while ago. There are now settings to enable/disabled emojis and select the emoji set you want to use :wink: