Disallow the uncategorized for mod/admins

(Jakub Ryška) #1

Hi,

when I’m admin on the discourse and I’m creating a new topic, then the default topic is uncategorized.
If I type in the title and content and create it, then the uncategorized post is visible to all users. As admin I am oftentimes creating a post which should not be visible to common users.
I’m running the current latest - 1.2.0.beta3.

How can I fix it?

I tried to set the permissions for uncategorized topics, but the tab is not there.
I tried to find how to delete the category - but I think it’s not possible in discourse.

Looks like the solution is to be cautious as an admin or mod?

(TechnoBear) #2

There is at least one existing topic about this, with a possible solution at some future date…

(cpradio) #3

@codinghorror,

Are we sure Uncategorized as a default for staff (even when uncategorized is disabled) is a safe default?

The more I keep thinking on this, the more I realize it doesn’t solve my problem. As a staff member, I want to be forced to choose my category. I don’t want it to default to something that may be extremely public (such as Uncategorized) or semi-public (a different Category).

The biggest gripe I have is when I create a new topic from Latest, it defaults to Uncategorized instead of forcing me to choose (everyone else has to choose! – non-staff). This really seems silly.

The offending code seems to be:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/app/assets/javascripts/discourse/views/category-chooser.js.es6#L32-L42

If staff, decide on whether you can use category.none or Uncategorized. Otherwise, use category.choose. I’m trying to figure out why staff need their own logic here. category.choose seems like a great default (for all).

Maybe that || should be && so you must have Uncategorized Topics set as Allowed? – in that case, I wouldn’t mind Staff having it as a default (since it won’t affect me at our instance)

Admin/mods can post to "uncategorized" with "allow uncategorized topics" disabled
(Jeff Atwood) #4

As I mentioned in the other topic:

1. When creating a topic within a category, or via “create linked topic” in the right gutter, the editor should default to the current category.

2. Beyond that (when you can’t infer category) I’m pretty sure it used to default to no selection for category, and we regressed somewhere.

(cpradio) #5

And I agree with that (as it does that for all other users). – although sometimes inconvenient, I understand it from a consistent experience is needed.

Okay, so the above code does indicate that is “unwanted” then. So from what I’m hearing, I can remove the “staff” logic so it simply returns “category.choose” when no category indicators are present.

(cpradio) #6

So this seems a bit more complicated than what I anticipated. As Discourse when you return category.choose, Discourse hijacks the Uncategorized category and changes its name/description to “Select a category…”, so you can’t have both Uncategorized and “Select a category…” both present.

I now have to figure out “how” it is doing that.

(Jeff Atwood) #7