Discobot: trigger phrases

(Blu McCormick) #1

Assuming members didn’t opt into discobot when signing on…

What are the current phrases you can use with discobot to trigger it and does triggering discobot initiate the one tutorial or are there other functions it does? The tutorial is awesome.

Just typing @discobot triggers a reply telling you to say the phrase “@discobot display help” to get the tutorial. :laughing: Oops … just like you see below.

Where would people post the phrase? In a PM? I imagine random discobot phrases in topic discussions wouldn’t be great.

I see that the tutorial is preserved as a Greetings! PM in the message inbox. I like how you can do the tutorial at your own pace and will definitely be encouraging people to use it.

(discobot) #2

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

(Joe) #3

@discobot display help

(discobot) #4

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

(Joe) #5

I feel like reading something fancy
@discobot quote

(discobot) #6

:left_speech_bubble: You cannot step twice into the same river, for other waters are continually flowing in. — Heraclitus

(Joe) #7

That’s sort of how I would imagine it to go @McBlu I think more functions like that can be added to discobot

(Blu McCormick) #8

:rofl: That is hilarious. I will have fun exploring those functions. I assumed that phrase would trigger the tutorial. My bad. Coders don’t assume, they methodically try each possible option.

I am wondering if I should just dedicate a topic for @discobot comments by members seeking belatedly to do the tutorial. I am betting a lot of our members will skip the discobot tutorial, which is why I plan ahead.

Does anyone know what turning off discobot’s public replies does?

(Paula Kreuzer) #9

There is also: @discobot start advanced user

(Jeff Atwood) #10

How about @discobot fortune

(discobot) #11

:crystal_ball: Reply hazy try again

(Jeff Atwood) #12

This sort of thing is easier to do as a PM to @discobot by the way… send a PM to @discobot and have a play.